how much media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the following in my canister filter, i think it's in the right order :lol:

Bottom tray is wool and ceramic (full)

Middle tray is bio balls and wool (full)

Top tray is wool and carbon. (full)

I am going to remove the carbon from my top tray today and replace it with Purigen, however that would leave the basket more or less empty... Should i fill it with wool or what?

I think the trays and media are in the right order, but what do you suggest i do with the top tray?

Thanks in advance :).

I have the following in my canister filter, i think it's in the right order :lol:

Bottom tray is wool and ceramic (full)

Middle tray is bio balls and wool (full)

Top tray is wool and carbon. (full)

I am going to remove the carbon from my top tray today and replace it with Purigen, however that would leave the basket more or less empty... Should i fill it with wool or what?

I think the trays and media are in the right order, but what do you suggest i do with the top tray?

Thanks in advance :).
You should do either Purigen + (fairly tightly packed) Wool (floss) or Two Purigens. Water may bypass the Purigen otherwise since it is densly packed.

I have a Fluval C4 with a rather large "chemical filtration" chamber. Although it is an HOB ... I think same principle applies. I have it stuffed with two 100ML "biobags" of Purigen plus tightly packed Sera Wool (floss).

I have two Fluval 406's hooked up to my aquarium, first one I have:
Top Tray - Floss, Carbon, Clearmax
2nd Tray - Substrat pro
3rd Tray - Substrat Pro
4th Tray - BIOMAX Foam with filter floss on top

Second one:
Top Tray - Floss, Carbon, Purigen, Rowaphos, Clearmax (Won't be using it anymore once this one has run it's course)
2nd Tray - Substrat pro
3rd Tray - Substrat pro + BIOMAX Bio rings
4th Tray - BIOMAX Foam + Filter floss

All of the trays are brimmed. Probably affects flow, but since I have two hooked up it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a freshwater 75g tank running a eheim 2028 and fluval 206. My water is far from crystal clear. I do regular 30% water changes and clean the filter media every other week. My 2028 is half mechanical and half biological, the 206 is strictly mechanical. My question is, what is more important mechanical or biological? Should I reduce mechanical? I have all but come to accept dirty water as I have tried just about everything. Anyways thanks in advance.

I didn't read the first post thorughly the first time, I would suggest you change the media stack that you have in that filter.

What you should do is have all the foam/wool in the bottom compartment. Ideally, a coarse foam, a medium foam, then wool or fine foam. Only 1/2"-1" of each is necessary. Then, in all the compartments above that, just use biomedia like ceramic media. There is no need to have biomedia, mechanical, biomedia, mechanical, etc. Just do all your mechanical first, then do all your bio.

Just the way it came. I will change things up once I've been paid and had a chance to buy some foam.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom