How much quieter are cannisters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Compared to a HOB? Thinking of getting tank #2 in the same room as the first. Want to cut down on noise.
Thanks!

Most canister filters are very quiet, They are usually under the stand. I run Rena canisters and they are extremely quiet. I can't hear them at all.

Holly, I had a penguin 350, 2 AC's 110's and now have a fluval fx5 and love it. Don't hear a thing!! Canister all the way!!

Definitely the loudest thing about my tank would be when my bubble decoration thingy vibrates itself out of its very specific quiet spot hahah

Yay! Thanks everybody! I definitely have to start saving for one. :) I have a Penguin 350 too and I'm picturing it in stereo. NOT! :) you guys clinched it.

Paytertot, I love your discus pics. Beautiful!

Hholly said:
Yay! Thanks everybody! I definitely have to start saving for one. :) I have a Penguin 350 too and I'm picturing it in stereo. NOT! :) you guys clinched it.

Paytertot, I love your discus pics. Beautiful!

Thank you :)

I have an Eheim Ecco Pro 35 and 80 and both are much more quiet than any of the Aquaclear filtters I've used (20, 50, 70). I have the 80 under the cabinet and the 35 in the open. I can hear the 35 but it is quieter than a Tetra Whisper 10, and both Eccos are quieter than the pair of AC 70s I have on a 75 gal. They cost a bit more but I will only use HOB filters for a pinch from now on. I just need to replace the two AC 70s I have.

I don't hear my canister at all..... you definitely don't get that waterfall sound effect when the tank level evaporates some like you do with HOB. Once you've had a canister, you can't go back. :D

LyndaB said:
I don't hear my canister at all..... you definitely don't get that waterfall sound effect when the tank level evaporates some like you do with HOB. Once you've had a canister, you can't go back. :D

I totally agree

My fluval 305 is totally silent. The only thing I hear from the tank is the air pump humming and the timers click when they turn my lights on.

Many people like their Fluval x05 series filters, and Eheim owners like their filters. I don't know what size tank you'll be using it on but last week I was able to get an Eheim Ecco Pro 35 on clearance at Petsmart. They markdown was well worth it, so I recommend it if you've got a location nearby and it wouldn't be too small.

Back
Top Bottom