How much should a 150 gal. tank be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am either going to make one or buy one. Before I do anything I was wondering how much should I pay for just the basic tank. I have looked around and seen prices all over the place.

it really depends on what material is being used (acrylic or glass), what dimensions, and what style of tank (dual overflow, single overflow, basic tank w no overflows). IMO when us salties get into the bigger tanks (125+) it is extremely beneficial for us to buy new tanks from the manufacturers, mainly because you get the piece of mind knowing that some hundred gallons of saltwater wont be on your floor when you get home, and secondly because they normally come with limetime warranties.

Best bet is to build if you can. Acrylics are very expensive. Unless Craiglist find

You could wait until a petco 1 dollar per gallon tank sale goes on

Look for a local distributor. If you're looking to build a a 150 gallon you'll probably need 2 4x8 sheets. I build a 90 gallon out of one, got it cut for free, 1/2" thick cost $300. You don't want to go thinner then that with tanks 100+ gallons.

If you're building your own and are getting 2 sheets. Cut it in a way so there's no left overs and you utilize the whole sheets. It'll be bigger then a 150, but that's a plus!

The Petco sale only goes up to 55 gallons, and I rarely see larger than that at the stores.

Re: acrylic, you want at least a half inch thick for that size. Make sure you use a good acrylic bonding cement and you get it right the first time (ie, no air pockets in the bond). Once it's bonded, it won't come apart. You may want to ask your LFS to see if they know anyone that can at least lend an assist when you do it if you haven't done it before.

Petcos sale does go above 55, but considering its a sale to clear out overstock, and petco doesnt really keep a ton on hand, youd be hard pressed to find anything over 55g

The Petco sale only goes up to 55 gallons, and I rarely see larger than that at the stores.

Re: acrylic, you want at least a half inch thick for that size. Make sure you use a good acrylic bonding cement and you get it right the first time (ie, no air pockets in the bond). Once it's bonded, it won't come apart. You may want to ask your LFS to see if they know anyone that can at least lend an assist when you do it if you haven't done it before.

Thanks but I am just going to buy used . After looking at how much it is going to be it seems like the best bet.

Back
Top Bottom