Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much should I offer for this tank & stand?

Ok I want to call and make an offer on this - they are asking $300 - what would be a good deal? They say it comes with all "lights, filters, and heaters" but I don't know the details on those goodies yet. Its a 75 gal - here's the pic. Also, any important questions I should ask? I've only purchased small tanks used so I'm nervous...

Name:   75gal.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  5.8 KB

Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
Ok I want to call and make an offer on this - they are asking $300 - what would be a good deal? They say it comes with all "lights, filters, and heaters" but I don't know the details on those goodies yet. Its a 75 gal - here's the pic. Also, any important questions I should ask? I've only purchased small tanks used so I'm nervous...
Attachment 37724
300 seems about right, especially if the filter/lights and heaters are in good quality shape, nice stand too. But since its used make sure there is no issues with the glass like scratches or cracks/nicks, wud hate to get a leak after buying it...looks real nice btw.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there anyway I can determine the age? I don't want to buy a tank this large that's old. How old is old for an aquarium anyway?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by siva
Is there anyway I can determine the age? I don't want to buy a tank this large that's old. How old is old for an aquarium anyway?
You can ask the seller for the age of the tank... I purchased a similar tank, with everything that you mentioned, but is a 100 gallon tank. I paid 300.
Looks to me that a 75 with all included for 300 is a really good deal. This is what I did.

I email my offer to the seller, but I told him that I would like to see the tank in person, before make any deal, which I did.
Check the scratches in the tank, hopefully will have not to many.
I checked mine full of water and working, the seller showed to me working, fish and everything. In other words, you don't want to find out a leak once it's at your home.
Check the lights, that are working.
The stand hopefully is free of termites, check that also, any water damage in the wood that can jeopardize the structural strength.
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I'd feel better about it if it were currently full..sure makes me nervous to lay down that kind of cash when there's risk involved. Thanks for the great tips
Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

That looks like a nice solid wood stand. The stand alone is worth $300+ new. <If it is actually particle board made to look like wood, than cut it down to ~$100.>

If the tank is in good shape, and the filter & lights are good quality, $300 can be a steal. It all depends on what is included. <Ask the seller brand, model, age & other details on the filter. For light, ask what type it is (T5, T8, PC, etc), wattage & number of fixtures/tubes.>

As for the tank age, a couple ways to tell:
1. Some new tank (mine does) has date of manufacture stamped on the bottom. That is the easiest way! <Mine has a sticker in the inside of the trim so it is temper proof, and you can only see it through the glass.>
2. Failing that, you can check the shape of the seals. Silicone seals dry out & get brittle with age, so a really old tank (10, 20 years) might have seals that is lifting or cracked or feels hard. It is not a big deal, as it is pretty easy to reseal the tank ... but you can talk the price down in that case.
3. Check the plastic rim on the tank --- old plastic can be brittle/discolored. <And rims that are not black is prob. older ... as the beige & other non-black trims are more popular in the 80's or 70's. Of course this is not 100% reliable.>
4. Check glass thickness. Older tanks are not tempered & will use glass that is ~1/2" thick. Modern (big) tanks are generally tempered & the glass thickness will be ~1/4-3/8".

Personally, I don't worry too much about the age. Glass is ageless as long as it is well looked after. So the number of scratches is more important. You can easily make an old tank like new by resealing & buying some new trims, as long as the glass is in good shape.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
That looks like a nice solid wood stand. The stand alone is worth $300+ new. <If it is actually particle board made to look like wood, than cut it down to ~$100.>

If the tank is in good shape, and the filter & lights are good quality, $300 can be a steal. It all depends on what is included. <Ask the seller brand, model, age & other details on the filter. For light, ask what type it is (T5, T8, PC, etc), wattage & number of fixtures/tubes.>

As for the tank age, a couple ways to tell:
1. Some new tank (mine does) has date of manufacture stamped on the bottom. That is the easiest way! <Mine has a sticker in the inside of the trim so it is temper proof, and you can only see it through the glass.>
2. Failing that, you can check the shape of the seals. Silicone seals dry out & get brittle with age, so a really old tank (10, 20 years) might have seals that is lifting or cracked or feels hard. It is not a big deal, as it is pretty easy to reseal the tank ... but you can talk the price down in that case.
3. Check the plastic rim on the tank --- old plastic can be brittle/discolored. <And rims that are not black is prob. older ... as the beige & other non-black trims are more popular in the 80's or 70's. Of course this is not 100% reliable.>
4. Check glass thickness. Older tanks are not tempered & will use glass that is ~1/2" thick. Modern (big) tanks are generally tempered & the glass thickness will be ~1/4-3/8".

Personally, I don't worry too much about the age. Glass is ageless as long as it is well looked after. So the number of scratches is more important. You can easily make an old tank like new by resealing & buying some new trims, as long as the glass is in good shape.
Awesome, thanks so much. I'll have to drive about an hour to even look at it in person, so the more I know to ask on the phone, the better. I left him a v/m a bit ago and on that said I was wondering if he had purchased it new and if so how long ago that was, and for more details on the filter and heater.

Does it matter which type bulbs it takes..what would be ideal? Anything that would be really not ideal? I know very little about lighting.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by siva

Awesome, thanks so much. I'll have to drive about an hour to even look at it in person, so the more I know to ask on the phone, the better. I left him a v/m a bit ago and on that said I was wondering if he had purchased it new and if so how long ago that was, and for more details on the filter and heater.

Does it matter which type bulbs it takes..what would be ideal? Anything that would be really not ideal? I know very little about lighting.
Not really, there is nothing not ideal.... Just different.
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #9
come get me tang police!

it does matter what type of bulbs it takes if you plan to plant the tank. T5s would be the best but probably not likely, it'll probably have t12s in it, or maybe t8s.

300 sounds like a fair price for sure, especially if it comes with working filters/heater/etc.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, what a piece ! Looks just like on-sale new at my lfs (Bristol UK) and they are very good quality cabinets, well solid. New price here is about 420 (about $600) so I would say it's a really good deal, but essential you check tank condition as mentioned by all/others.

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com