How much surface movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75g tank with an Emporer 400 on the far left (when facing the tank). I have the output and intake of my Fluval 404 slightly to the right of the middle. The output is about mid level on depth. The intake is at the bottom. I also got 2 penguin power heads with the tank. One is a 1140 with 300gph and the other is a 660 with 170 gph. My question is should put one of these power heads at the far right of the tank to make more surface movement or is that to much? If so wich should i use? This tank will house to Oscars and maybe a green terror and a pleco.

You really can't have too much surface agitation... if it doesn't bother the fish, it's not too much. That said, the two filters should give you adequate surface agitation. I have a spray bar on my 150g coming off my fluval 405. I keep it right below the surface so that it makes ripples across the top. Never had any issues.

One thing I would say is to try to spread out your 404 intake and output more. It sounds like they are both in the middle? This could give you some deadspots where the water doesn't get filtered. I would always advise with a large canister to have the input and output as far apart as you possibly can. All mine are on the opposite sides of the tanks.

The Fluval 04s input and output are connected, unlike the 05s.

I think at least one of the powerheads should be up by the surface, or pointing at it. But it is a good idea to keep the other down low keeping the water moving across the substrate.

Two oscars would max out that 75, no room for a green terror or common pleco. If you do enough water changes you could have a bristlenose pleco if the oscars grow up with it and you only feed them pellets (no live food).

Do the powerheads have the bubbler option? This is another good way to increase aeration.

Fishguy2727 said:
The Fluval 04s input and output are connected, unlike the 05s.

I think at least one of the powerheads should be up by the surface, or pointing at it. But it is a good idea to keep the other down low keeping the water moving across the substrate.

Two oscars would max out that 75, no room for a green terror or common pleco. If you do enough water changes you could have a bristlenose pleco if the oscars grow up with it and you only feed them pellets (no live food).

Do the powerheads have the bubbler option? This is another good way to increase aeration.

So are you saying to use both power heads?

Back
Top Bottom