How often do you do your RO/DI top-offs????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm learning that with my current setup, I need to add R/O water daily due to evaporation. If not, my salinity/sg creeps a little high. Is this because my tank is still cycling? Sounds like a foolish question, but really. My sg/salinity is "unstable". Sounds like a immature tank, no? Or should I use these daily top-offs as practice for the real thing ( when I actually have things to look at in my tank other than rocks). Not that rocks aren't fun to look at because I've already spent hours staring into my empty tank (I'm not the only one, right? :lol: )

Just seems like a lot of water evaporation. The water in my sump drops about an inch each day. I don't have intense lighting, just the coralife 4x96w fixture for a 90gal. Anyway, I was just curious to see how often everyone else does their top-offs in hopes that I wasn't the only one doing it daily.

i top off every day after i feed my fish. i lose about a 3/8" every day. i think it is a good practice. the more stable ( no matter what parameter ) the better

steve r

Get used to it! :wink:

It is a normal daily occurence for the sw hobbiest. Some lose a little more or a little less than others. :D

Prior to my 125 gal setup w/sump, i had a 75 gal with a canister. I did not have to top off the canister setup much, but with my current setup, i top off every other day. I have decided to go with an auto top off system (ultralife float switch and PH) so that i don't have to worry about it so much. I tried a cheap way - setting up an airline and using a syphon (which dripped water in). This worked but was a PITA, so I ponyed up the $ for the float switch. Ordered it from Marinedeport cause of the good feedback on this forum. $59 for the switch and $14 for the PH. Can't wait till it arrives!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :D

Jim

I usually top-off in the morning, after work, and at bed time for my nano tank if I'm not using my auto top-off unit. I use ro/di or distilled water.

okay, now do these auto top-offs work well? I wish I had pluming behind my tank that I could tap into. I run a 15ft. R/O water tube from under my bathroom sink(where I installed my RO unit) to my room to do the topoffs. I was thinking about an auto topoff unit, but what happens if it malfunctions and never turns off. Flood right? I'd like to minimize my chances of a flood.

Also, do have an auto top off system, I'd have do dig under my carpet to hide the tubing. If it leaks somewhere, I won't even be able to see it until it's too late. Am I missing something? Seems like a lot of work and hassle and possible disasters. I guess I'm stuck with the daily topoffs. No biggie, I'll just get used to it

Oh yeah, one last thing. Before I converted my 90gal from FW to SW, I didn't have to topoff a thing. I would only do biweekly water changes and this would be enough. Now I know that salinity is not an issue for FW, but I was referring to the rate of evaporation. Does the SW evaporate quicker than FW, or is it the new lighting required by reef systems that causes the evaporation?

Thanks

Heineken,

I will only keep about 5 gal of water in my auto topoff container so that even if it should get stuck on, my sump could handle it. (still wouldn't be good, but better than a flood). I have room beside my sump under my tank so hopefully it will be an simple setup. I'm guessing I loose about .75 - 1 gal a day, so i'll just add water to my topoff container every 4th day ish. It's mostly for when I'll be away for a few days. I trust the neighbor to feed them, just don't want them to have to mess with much else.

Jim

A recommended top-off unit is the Tunze Osmolater, it is an auto top-off unit with 2 fail safes. It uses an optic sensor to determine the water level, uses a float switch for the first fail safe incase the sensor doesn't work, the second fail safe is that after 10 seconds or so the water pump will shut off automaticaly. It also has an audible alarm when the fail safe are triggered.

I was thinking of buying one but it requires that you have a minimum of 2" of space from top rim of tank to water level. That 2" minimun is too much for my setup.

This is the current auto top-off i'm using made by a hobbiest http://www.californiareefs.com/forsale.htm

Back
Top Bottom