How old are your tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at my 55 gallon today (empty) and I saw the manufacturer's sticker. It was made by All Glass Aquariums way back in 1985! No chips or anything. The tank is older than me! :D

How old are your tanks (in use or otherwise)?

our 10 and 20 gals we just brought brand new this year, but our 27gal hex we picked up on craigs list was made october 13, 1987 :D never noticed until i saw this thread, thought i'd take a look. pretty cool :) only two years younger than me

HN1 and I have a 75 gallon that was made in 1984! It's still holding water after a 440 mile move last year in a U Haul with substrate in the bottom, lol, never been resealed to my knowledge. I think our next oldest is the 120 gallon we have, I think it was made in 1995.

I set mine up March of this year, but where do you see a date on the tank?

I saw the date on mine on the INSIDE of the frame, outside of the glass, on the bottom of the tank. It was a sticker that was placed on the frame, meant to be viewed from inside the tank, but only when it was empty, as anything on the bottom of the tank would cover it.

I was just surprised it was that old lol On a similar note, I just picked up a 20 gallon with stand and gravel and decor for 30 bucks today. :p

I just picked up a 20 gallon with stand and gravel and decor for 30 bucks today. :p

Wow, great deal! Did you get it off of CL? I keep seeing tanks on freecycle and I have been trying so hard to get another one because I can't afford another one yet.

oldie but goodie.... not 100% sure how old it is though i have had it for 10 years or so.

img_1123092_0_9300e738f4acd6019503ecd360ac41bf.jpg

Geeze mgamer that's a freaking underwater forest! And yes I did pick mine up on craigslist.

Got mine from a guy from a different saltwater fish forum site. It's been up and running since Dec.'09

I love the old metal frame tanks :) I have an old 5 gallon one, it's sweet.

I am still using a 20 gallon tall glass tank purchased in 1976.

I am still using the first tank I ever built in about 1968. It is basically a cube of about 27 gallons. I also have a couple of 10s from the early sixties that still hold water.

When I lived in San Francisco I purchased a used 80-gallon glass tank with a metal frame that was manufactured in the 70s and was still in good shape. The tank went through the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989 with only a few chips in the glass, and did not spring any leaks. A well-made aquarium can last 50 years or more if it is properly taken care of and not damaged.

Back
Top Bottom