Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
How quickly do i replace bulbs

Hey guys my corals are bleaching and its cause my lights are old. So today im buying more bulbs but i need to know how quickly i should replace them. A bulb every week? Also, which ones do i replace first/last seeing as i'm buying a suggested assortment
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 142
I wouldn't see any problem with just replacing all the bulbs at once.
__________________

__________________
2.0.0 Graptemys ouchitensis ouchitensis :: Sheldon and Colin
thebritishbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebritishbloke View Post
I wouldn't see any problem with just replacing all the bulbs at once.
Hahah sorry but i'm nearly sure that isnt the correct method Lol see how many posts i have? No offence but I've done my share of helping
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin
 
fort384's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,926
Let's agree to disagree on how much post count weighs into experience .

I think you are going down the right path, Gboy... replacing a bulb every 5-7 days will lower the overall stress to the system, and in less than a month you'll have all new lighting.

Alternatively, a lot of folks will use window screens on top of the tank to shade the tank, replace all bulbs at once and then remove a layer of screen every few days to allow a ramp up or break in period for the coral.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Let's agree to disagree on how much post count weighs into experience . I think you are going down the right path, Gboy... replacing a bulb every 5-7 days will lower the overall stress to the system, and in less than a month you'll have all new lighting. Alternatively, a lot of folks will use window screens on top of the tank to shade the tank, replace all bulbs at once and then remove a layer of screen every few days to allow a ramp up or break in period for the coral.
Nice to see you again Fort and thank you so much for the info
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin
 
fort384's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,926
No prob, let us know how it goes... and post a pic of the reef if you guys get a sec... or wait till the new lights take hold and grab a pic then!
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
No prob, let us know how it goes... and post a pic of the reef if you guys get a sec... or wait till the new lights take hold and grab a pic then!
I think i'll wait a bit...the tank isnt at it's prime right now lol. A lot has changed though
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.