Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How quiet are Tunze recirc pumps?

Hi,

I ordered some Red Dragon Pumps for my 125 setup. I need one for my return and one for my closed loop.

My LFS told me today they were not available and it could be 2 months before I might get them. That sucks! Tried a few places in the IS and Canada, no one has any Red Dragons.

So, my LFS suggested the Tunze pumps. The 040 and 090, I believe. Now, my biggest concern is the noise level. This tank is in the middle of my TV Room, Office and recording studio. That's why I wanted the red Dragons. I know Tunze makes great products, but are these pumps as quiet as they say they are? Good quality, I'm assuming.

Any input would be appreciated. I really don't want to wait another 2 months to get this setup running. It's already been 4 months since I started!

thanks

Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I don't have a Tunze but have heard they are quiet. I have a BlueLine in my sump sitting on a thin pad (thinner than a mouse pad). You can hear a low hum if the doors are open, otherwise it is silent.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, so that is what I heard about the blueline, but mine is brutally loud. You can hear it n the next room - and it's sitting on 2 layers of mouse pad.

Which model do you have? I had the HD-40 and HD-4.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to the general Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have the HD40 (I think, the label in on the side I can't see. I'll try to find a mirror and check the exact modell. I can see that the pump motor is a NH100PX, but I'm pretty sure it's the HD40
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, the NH100PX is ht HD-40. Funny. Maybe I just got an unusually noisy one. I think, however, for my situation, I need to go that one step further in noise level. I just hope the Tunze is as quiet as I need. Since it's a special order, I can't return this one.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Something must be worng with your BlueLine pumps. How old are they? Have you opened them up to see if anything got in there?
I'm not sure you can get a quieter pump than what I have. When the doors are closed you can't even hear the hum. Though I'm not sure I would want a tank in a recording studio. There's always going to be some noise, even if it's jsut the water flowing through the pipes.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

They are brand new out of the box! I am going to have them looked at by the LFS.

As for being in the studio, there is an isolation booth for recording, but mixing takes place in the room with the tank.

Thanks,

Tags
pumps, tunze

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com