How reliable are electronic pH testers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmware

Aquarium Advice Activist
There's this store in my area which says they sell these electronic pH testers for about $100 CAD. I'm thinking of investing in one of them in the near future. How reliable are they, and are they worth buying?

Are they accurate?

Do they consume more batteries/power than what it's worth to just buy the chemical?

Are they practical enough for someone with just a few tanks, or more for people with several tanks?

Are there any brands or models that you would recommend?

Thanx.

If its a pinpoint or milwaukee brand then yes they are reliable and accurate (more accurate then chemical testing actually) you calibrate then every so often (with a test sample) to keep them accurate.. and Ive seen people buy them for just one tank, it depends on how important it is for you to know what your PH is..
The price you found sounds pretty good.. $70US is the best price I can find right now for one on e-bay.

I agree. Definitley go with something like a PinPoint or something reliable. All you need to do is occasionally calibrate with the 4 and 10 solution, and let it do it's thing. Replace the battery when it gets low. From what I've heard they are very accurate, however I don't own one myself.

Back
Top Bottom