Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How should I clean a used tank?

I got a great deal today on a tank that I'm not gonna use for some time, but couldn't give up the deal esp now knowing that my current 10gal is over-crowded. I bought a used 33gal long tank with hood/light from the pet store I go to for only $30. I don't have the room for it nor do I know when I'll be able to find the money, space, and time to establish it so I'm storing it in the garage until I figure out what's next. Question is, what is the proper way to clean & fumigate(a roach crawled out into my truck as I was transporting it home) a used tank without endangering any future inhabitants?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe put baking soda all in the tank and rub in so it gets all the bad stuff out the. Wash it out GOOD! Also I heard vinegar but I never did that. Water

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can use white vinegar, just make sure to wash it out real good, it works great!!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cleaning a Used Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I got a great deal today on a tank that I'm not gonna use for some time, but couldn't give up the deal esp now knowing that my current 10gal is over-crowded. I bought a used 33gal long tank with hood/light from the pet store I go to for only $30. I don't have the room for it nor do I know when I'll be able to find the money, space, and time to establish it so I'm storing it in the garage until I figure out what's next. Question is, what is the proper way to clean & fumigate(a roach crawled out into my truck as I was transporting it home) a used tank without endangering any future inhabitants?
Hello Redd...

I use only warm tap water, standard aquarium salt and a soft sponge. The simpler, the better. This way you don't damage the tank or leave anything in it or on it that will harm the fish and plants.

B
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury

Hello Redd...

I use only warm tap water, standard aquarium salt and a soft sponge. The simpler, the better. This way you don't damage the tank or leave anything in it or on it that will harm the fish and plants.

B
+1 agreed I do this with my new tanks but I just got used one guess I'm going to use high pressure to get crude off.
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use organic apple cider vinegar (always over-rinse after use) and water to soak and then get things like sponges, bristle brushes (used for dishes on a long handle), razors, a spray bottle (to spray spots down for a better scrub with a stronger vinegar/water concentration), and an open weekend.

It really depends on how rough the tank's condition is. If it's just been sitting around, I would just scrub it down with hot water and a fresh sponge (aquarium safe, of course). But, if it's got gunk, I would go all out. I've cleaned tanks covered in salt and algae (saltwater tank) to covered in dirt from storage.

Maybe if you post a picture, we can help advise you a little more specifically.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks y'all, the tank is in good shape and was being used up until the Christmas week, then they took the fish out & drained it for new tanks coming in this week. The tanks are a bit crudy w/salt from use, they spray painted the rear & sides blue(which I'll want to scrape off), but nothing too major. The real concern is the hood light(see roach droppings in it), I want to spray that thing down with some raid or something. They were selling a 55gal, 20gal, and two 33longs, so I hopped on one.

Tags
clean, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com