How should I clean a used tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a great deal today on a tank that I'm not gonna use for some time, but couldn't give up the deal esp now knowing that my current 10gal is over-crowded. I bought a used 33gal long tank with hood/light from the pet store I go to for only $30. I don't have the room for it nor do I know when I'll be able to find the money, space, and time to establish it so I'm storing it in the garage until I figure out what's next. Question is, what is the proper way to clean & fumigate(a roach crawled out into my truck as I was transporting it home) a used tank without endangering any future inhabitants?

Maybe put baking soda all in the tank and rub in so it gets all the bad stuff out the. Wash it out GOOD! Also I heard vinegar but I never did that. Water

Cleaning a Used Tank

I got a great deal today on a tank that I'm not gonna use for some time, but couldn't give up the deal esp now knowing that my current 10gal is over-crowded. I bought a used 33gal long tank with hood/light from the pet store I go to for only $30. I don't have the room for it nor do I know when I'll be able to find the money, space, and time to establish it so I'm storing it in the garage until I figure out what's next. Question is, what is the proper way to clean & fumigate(a roach crawled out into my truck as I was transporting it home) a used tank without endangering any future inhabitants?

Hello Redd...

I use only warm tap water, standard aquarium salt and a soft sponge. The simpler, the better. This way you don't damage the tank or leave anything in it or on it that will harm the fish and plants.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Redd...

I use only warm tap water, standard aquarium salt and a soft sponge. The simpler, the better. This way you don't damage the tank or leave anything in it or on it that will harm the fish and plants.

B

+1 agreed I do this with my new tanks but I just got used one guess I'm going to use high pressure to get crude off.

I use organic apple cider vinegar (always over-rinse after use) and water to soak and then get things like sponges, bristle brushes (used for dishes on a long handle), razors, a spray bottle (to spray spots down for a better scrub with a stronger vinegar/water concentration), and an open weekend.

It really depends on how rough the tank's condition is. If it's just been sitting around, I would just scrub it down with hot water and a fresh sponge (aquarium safe, of course). But, if it's got gunk, I would go all out. I've cleaned tanks covered in salt and algae (saltwater tank) to covered in dirt from storage.

Maybe if you post a picture, we can help advise you a little more specifically.

Thanks y'all, the tank is in good shape and was being used up until the Christmas week, then they took the fish out & drained it for new tanks coming in this week. The tanks are a bit crudy w/salt from use, they spray painted the rear & sides blue(which I'll want to scrape off), but nothing too major. The real concern is the hood light(see roach droppings in it), I want to spray that thing down with some raid or something. They were selling a 55gal, 20gal, and two 33longs, so I hopped on one.

Back
Top Bottom