Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 48 (L) x 24 (H) x 18 (w) tank and was thinking about getting lights to be able to grow low to medium lights plants. Any recommendations?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look at T8 fluorescent shop lights.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy View Post
Double? Ouch! Maybe you could check your LFS or do a search for a Canadian-based online pet supply store, (that is if any even exist)? They might carry the Marineland brand or you should be able to find something similar.
So I was in one of my fave LFS today, and they had the Marineland LED fixture... for a mere $229. I guess ordering from the US with shipping and duty might not be so bad after all. I do like that light fixture though.

And shadyfish: yes my Bengal chats. ALL FREAKING DAY LONG. She never shuts up.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

On the marineland system, will that fit a 55 gallon? I was curious because it looks like an awesome light. It says 36-48", so I'm assuming that it would stretch out and be able to work on my 55 which measures the 48" across. Unfortunately I'm not an electronic DIY nor do I have the time to attempt it so BigJim's way is out.

On personal preference or experience would y'all rather have something similiar to the marineland system or the T5-HO 2 lamp system from fishneedit for general lighting and future low-medium plants.

T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting - 89.99

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System - 118.99
Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadonick View Post
I have had problems with my cat and couldnt figure out what to do to stop him. now i have a little pressurized gun that shoots minny ping pong balls... he doesnt go up there anymore.

Hahahahah, that's hilarious

Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout11B View Post
On the marineland system, will that fit a 55 gallon? I was curious because it looks like an awesome light. It says 36-48", so I'm assuming that it would stretch out and be able to work on my 55 which measures the 48" across. Unfortunately I'm not an electronic DIY nor do I have the time to attempt it so BigJim's way is out.

On personal preference or experience would y'all rather have something similiar to the marineland system or the T5-HO 2 lamp system from fishneedit for general lighting and future low-medium plants.

T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting - 89.99

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System - 118.99
The Marineland fixture will fit a 55g, but I believe the fixture is only 36" and the mounting bracket extends up to 48". I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like from some of the pics of that fixture. I'm still not sure if the Marineland would be suitable for a low-tech setup, but according to MFD, the T5-HO from fishneedit.com would work fine.

My personal preference would be to go w/ the LED. However, when new technology comes out, I always give it time on the market before I purchase. Once the "new" wears off, the price will start dropping, plus, if there are any "bugs", they will get them corrected before it comes time for me to purchase.
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya, I'm not rushing out to buy lighting anytime soon, the marineland system does have a nice look to it though. But there's always time to look around, thanks for replying to my little side jaunt there. Not trying to hijack the op

Tags
light, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com