Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How to arrange media basket in cascade 1000 canister filter

How should I arrange the media baskets in penn plax casade 1000 cansiter filter? I have an API filter and it said to put course foam on bottom, followed by bio bags, and fine white foam in top. But casade instruction said to put course foam on top and fine foam on bottom. I just want to make sure I set it up the correct way. Thanks

Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Usually you layer media from coarse to fine depending on direction of flow. Since most canisters have input on the bottom and output on top, so API directions sound best. The fine media would clog up and need changing often if it were closest to input.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Slade.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
How should I arrange the media baskets in penn plax casade 1000 cansiter filter? I have an API filter and it said to put course foam on bottom, followed by bio bags, and fine white foam in top. But casade instruction said to put course foam on top and fine foam on bottom. I just want to make sure I set it up the correct way. Thanks
You can also custom most filters. Just a suggestion, you could try this;
Keep the course foam at the bottom
Replace the bio bags with Seachem Matrix-(1ltr=170 bio balls)
Replace the Fine White Foam with filter floss or cheap bed pillow filler($1,will last years).
Put in a 100g bag of Seachem Purigen
If you going with the filter floss or the bed pillow filler(same as the floss but alot cheaper) put it in some ladies tights(new cheap ones do fine).
Trust me, if you try this set-up and as long as your not over-stocked, this set-up will make your water sparkle, literally!!.
PS...If you try any/all of these steps, DO NOT replace all of your media in one go. Do it slowly over a few weeks 4-6. With the Matrix replace about 1/5 a week, if you replace all in one go, you will lose all/most of your b.bacteria...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the help. I never heard of Seachem Purige and Matrix. Can you get that from normal department pet stores? or do I need to order on line?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
Thanks for the help. I never heard of Seachem Purige and Matrix. Can you get that from normal department pet stores? or do I need to order on line?
IMO Purigen And Matrix are brilliant..I have to order from the US, it's near impossible to get in Ireland and when i can it's a ridiculous price, it's cheaper for me to import it from your country and pay the post!!. I'm 99% sure you can get it in Petco, Petsmart and your other large stores, you could also order online, which i'm sure might be a little cheaper... I'm not sure of the price over there but i know it's quite cheap about $5-$10..I'm sure someone else can let you know..The Purigen(chemical media) comes in a small pouch 100g(it can also be bought in different size jars and you can make up your own size bags), you just put it in the top of your canister. It can be recharged over and over. A lot of people use it, it make/keeps your water crystal clear..
The Matrix is a bio-media. They're like pebbles and they are used instead of bio-balls or ceramic rings, or both. They have internal and external surface area for the bacteria to grow.. 1litre of Matrix is equivalent to 170 bio-balls.. More bacteria means less Ammonia...Research them, they are both very popular...

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com