Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How to buy large quantity of tanks?

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a large number (30-50) of 5.5 g aquariums for a big system I'm setting up.

Does anyone know what would be the cheapest way to go about this?

Should I be contacting wholesalers?

Has anyone bought large quantities of tanks like this before?

Could you recommend a retailer?

I'm in Southern California, if that helps.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your best bet would be craigslist you could post a wanted ad and also cruise the tanks for sale you could contact a wholesaler but that might cost more

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I run an aquarium company so I happen to know wholesale prices. You will definitely get the 5 gallons cheaper than what they sell for in the store but it still won't be close to 1 dollar a gallon or anything. For anything smaller than 55 gallons (for my personal use) i scower Craigslist. If you have a Petco near you every once in a while they will have a 1 dollar a gallon sale. So 5.5 aquariums will cost 5.50 plus tax. That would be the cheapest way.

Rule of thumb .60 cents to 1 dollar a gallon is a good starting point for used AQUARIUMS. Hoods and heaters and such add extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just went to the Petco's sale this past Sunday and unfortunately, the $1.00/gal prices only apply for 10gal-55 gal tanks so no bargain on 5.5s there. However, if you have the space, you can buy 10 gals for $10.00 ( 5.5 is $14.99) so why not use them? Considering how many fish you can get in a 10 over a 5.5, how could this not be a benefit? I am setting up a hatchery myself and will be using 60- 10 gals minimum so that sale price is great for me. ( I've purchased 30 so far) I doubt you are going to find that many used 5.5s on craigslist or anywhere unless you deal with a manufacturer directly. Keep in mind, costs for making a 5.5 may still put them more expensive than or the same as a 10 gal. and no bargain to buy.

Hope this helps
Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I just went to the Petco's sale this past Sunday and unfortunately, the $1.00/gal prices only apply for 10gal-55 gal tanks so no bargain on 5.5s there. However, if you have the space, you can buy 10 gals for $10.00 ( 5.5 is $14.99) so why not use them? Considering how many fish you can get in a 10 over a 5.5, how could this not be a benefit? I am setting up a hatchery myself and will be using 60- 10 gals minimum so that sale price is great for me. ( I've purchased 30 so far) I doubt you are going to find that many used 5.5s on craigslist or anywhere unless you deal with a manufacturer directly. Keep in mind, costs for making a 5.5 may still put them more expensive than or the same as a 10 gal. and no bargain to buy.

Hope this helps
Thanks Andy.

It's a long story, but I'm putting all the tanks in a climate controlled environmental chamber (like a walk in cooler but hot and humid) so I'm limited on space. I know 10 g would be cheaper. Maybe I need to make some measurements and see what I can do.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
come get me tang police!

As mentioned, get the $/gal tanks. Divide them up if you must, but you get more bang for the buck either way. It's not hard to put dividers up.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm contacting a couple of wholesalers in my area. I'll see what prices they have.

Thanks all!

Tags
large, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com