How to buy large quantity of tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chapinkj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a large number (30-50) of 5.5 g aquariums for a big system I'm setting up.

Does anyone know what would be the cheapest way to go about this?

Should I be contacting wholesalers?

Has anyone bought large quantities of tanks like this before?

Could you recommend a retailer?

I'm in Southern California, if that helps.

Thanks!
:fish1:

Your best bet would be craigslist you could post a wanted ad and also cruise the tanks for sale you could contact a wholesaler but that might cost more

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run an aquarium company so I happen to know wholesale prices. You will definitely get the 5 gallons cheaper than what they sell for in the store but it still won't be close to 1 dollar a gallon or anything. For anything smaller than 55 gallons (for my personal use) i scower Craigslist. If you have a Petco near you every once in a while they will have a 1 dollar a gallon sale. So 5.5 aquariums will cost 5.50 plus tax. That would be the cheapest way.

Rule of thumb .60 cents to 1 dollar a gallon is a good starting point for used AQUARIUMS. Hoods and heaters and such add extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just went to the Petco's sale this past Sunday and unfortunately, the $1.00/gal prices only apply for 10gal-55 gal tanks so no bargain on 5.5s there. However, if you have the space, you can buy 10 gals for $10.00 ( 5.5 is $14.99) so why not use them? Considering how many fish you can get in a 10 over a 5.5, how could this not be a benefit? I am setting up a hatchery myself and will be using 60- 10 gals minimum so that sale price is great for me. ( I've purchased 30 so far) I doubt you are going to find that many used 5.5s on craigslist or anywhere unless you deal with a manufacturer directly. Keep in mind, costs for making a 5.5 may still put them more expensive than or the same as a 10 gal. and no bargain to buy.

Hope this helps

I just went to the Petco's sale this past Sunday and unfortunately, the $1.00/gal prices only apply for 10gal-55 gal tanks so no bargain on 5.5s there. However, if you have the space, you can buy 10 gals for $10.00 ( 5.5 is $14.99) so why not use them? Considering how many fish you can get in a 10 over a 5.5, how could this not be a benefit? I am setting up a hatchery myself and will be using 60- 10 gals minimum so that sale price is great for me. ( I've purchased 30 so far) I doubt you are going to find that many used 5.5s on craigslist or anywhere unless you deal with a manufacturer directly. Keep in mind, costs for making a 5.5 may still put them more expensive than or the same as a 10 gal. and no bargain to buy.

Hope this helps

Thanks Andy.

It's a long story, but I'm putting all the tanks in a climate controlled environmental chamber (like a walk in cooler but hot and humid) so I'm limited on space. I know 10 g would be cheaper. Maybe I need to make some measurements and see what I can do.

Thanks again.

I'm contacting a couple of wholesalers in my area. I'll see what prices they have.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom