Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
If you had them in the sump they would have to go through the pump to get back up. I would still try to buy them and just put a bunch in there.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
OK. I just always read that is good for reef tank to have a refugium. But i think you don't have one and your tank looks great. I saw all your pictures. It is awsome tank. My dream is to upgrade 90 t0 125. I love long tank with more panoramic view. 90 gal is only 4 feet and really high.

artur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
you could use a plastic container with a hole in the lid,blacken this to cut out any light,then place the breeding pods inside the container,place the container within your LR.the pods should breed nicely in there and then gradually enter your dt through the hole to get to the light.
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I think you will have a hard time fitting a refugium in that sump. I personally am a strong advocate for them but i think it will be difficult for you in that set up. You can try pod piles and containers as others have suggested but it would be my guess that if all that rock is still not enough then you have several fish in addition to your mandarin that are chewing through your pod population and it is unlikely a pod pile or container will be enough to suppliment.

Mandarins can be trained on to prepaired foods. It is a bit of a difficult process but i think well worth it considering how wonderful of a fish they are and then you never have to worry about them going hungry again. Some of the "reformed" mandarins have been know to be quite big eaters actually. Here is a link to a thread on how it is done.

Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • View topic - Weaning mandarins to frozen and pellets
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Some people use HOB filters to make small refugiums. I don't know if it'd be enough room to breed pods, but it's a thought.

BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

change, refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com