how to clean a fish net

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfishhobbyist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the basic green fish nets. My neons caught the tetra disease so I've been scooping them out. How do I clean or disinfect the net for future use?

Thanks!

If something really contagious was in my fish tank, like ich, I'd consider buying new nets (a few dollars), but otherwise bleach works too.

I would only bleach for no more than 30 mins. since bleach can deteriorate nets rather quickly. There is a netdip product I'll have to look up for you as I cannot remember it at the moment :\

Edit: Benzalkonium Chloride 50% :D

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone.
I will probably buy some extras, just in case.
I just wanted to know if there was a home remedy...i try not to make extra trips to lfs if I don't have to. It's not that close to our house.

Another option is potassium permanganate. A strong solution (dark pink) should kill anything living, and you only need to rinse before reuse. However, pp is more difficult to find & costs more than bleach. So for the occasional disinfection, beach should be just fine.

Thanks again everyone.
I will probably buy some extras, just in case.
I just wanted to know if there was a home remedy...i try not to make extra trips to lfs if I don't have to. It's not that close to our house.

plus if you are like me you go in there for just a net and you come out with at least $100 worth of corals and fish and rocks and.....a net. I think they should just collect $100 from me at the door when I enter. It would make my trips easier.lol

Back
Top Bottom