Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

When doing bleach dips you should double (or more) dose your dechlorinator while soaking. I always had luck getting algae off fake plants with a toothbrush though. The key is keeping up on it so it doesn't get stained.

Also, I always used a 1:19 ratio for dipping real plants and most decor.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
When doing bleach dips you should double (or more) dose your dechlorinator while soaking. I always had luck getting algae off fake plants with a toothbrush though. The key is keeping up on it so it doesn't get stained.

Also, I always used a 1:19 ratio for dipping real plants and most decor.
There were a million little leaves, and a toothbrush was not phasing them even in their earliest phase. Yeah, I immediately had the feeling that 1:10 was way too strong, in that the algae disappeared literally in about 5 seconds. It was crazy effective, but I'll go more gentle next time.

Hey thanks, folks for the recommendation on the Prime. I see on the Prime description online that even 5x the normal dose is safe for emergency situations. I'll do a 3x dose and soak them in a 5 gallon bucket. Is overnight sufficient (or too much)?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I think the overdosing comment on their site is in regards to it in an active tank with fish. I'm hoping you are soaking these in a bucket, not in your main tank!

Like I said, a double dose for a 1:19 ratio was perfect for my needs, I soaked them for a few hours, stirring occassionally. I didn't notice any bleach smell after I was done.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
I think the overdosing comment on their site is in regards to it in an active tank with fish. I'm hoping you are soaking these in a bucket, not in your main tank!

Like I said, a double dose for a 1:19 ratio was perfect for my needs, I soaked them for a few hours, stirring occassionally. I didn't notice any bleach smell after I was done.
lol. No, I soaked each individual plant for about 10 seconds in a small container of 1:10 bleach:water, then rinsed well and moved them all to a 5 gallon bucket. That's where they are now; soaking in water and stinking of chlorine, regardless of how many times I have changed the bucket water. I'm planning to pick up the Prime on the way home tonight. I'll them in the same 5 gallon bucket with clean water and a triple dose of prime overnight, maybe two nights, or until I don't smell chlorine anymore.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71
When I had fake plants, I'd swish them in a mixture of bleach and water (10 water to 1 bleach) then rinsed them, after that I'd soak them in a bucket of water with Prime.
Last night I added about 2/3 of a capful of prime to a 5 gallon bucket of clean water and the plastic plants. That amount of prime would be enough to clean treat 33 gallons of water. The Chlorine smell was gone before I added treatment. A few times I stirred the cauldron up to distribute the prime (bubble, bubble, toil and trouble..) Should an overnight soak be sufficient?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It took me this long to realize that I had a misspelling in the post title. Well, I soaked the plants in a 5 gallon bucket with 1/2 a cap of prime overnight - twice. Then I added the appropriate dose to my tank when I added the plants back to the tank. The plants look spick and span, and no fish casualties. I guess I'll let this thread die.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Tags
clean, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com