How to Clean Artificial Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have plastic plants in my tank that are starting to get algae on the leaves. I've tried just scrubbing them off by hand and even with a toothbrush, but that's not very effective. Is there a proper and safe method of cleaning algae from artificial plants?

I've never had much luck with that. On the other hand, it does make them look more real. You can try leaving them out in the sun to see if that will fade the algae spots, but it might fade the entire plant.

LyndaB said:
...it does make them look more real. ...

Well, you would think so. But actually it just makes them look dirty and unkept. I may try to boil them to see if it helps.

When I had fake plants, I'd swish them in a mixture of bleach and water (10 water to 1 bleach) then rinsed them, after that I'd soak them in a bucket of water with Prime.

Well, [edit]1:10 bleach:water worked within seconds! However, I've rinsed over and over again but they still smell like bleach.

Well, 10:1 bleach:water worked within seconds! However, I've rinsed over and over again but they still smell like bleach.
Soak them in a strong solution of chlorine remover. That will make them safe for use in your tank again. I have been cleaning plastic plants this way for years, never a problem!!

What about the ornament cleaner solutions? Haven't used them myself, but seen some at my LFS... Won't that be any good?

DragonFish71 said:
When I had fake plants, I'd swish them in a mixture of bleach and water (10 water to 1 bleach) then rinsed them, after that I'd soak them in a bucket of water with Prime.

Seachem Prime seems readily available, and very affordable. Is this what you use?

When doing bleach dips you should double (or more) dose your dechlorinator while soaking. I always had luck getting algae off fake plants with a toothbrush though. The key is keeping up on it so it doesn't get stained.

Also, I always used a 1:19 ratio for dipping real plants and most decor.

meegosh said:
When doing bleach dips you should double (or more) dose your dechlorinator while soaking. I always had luck getting algae off fake plants with a toothbrush though. The key is keeping up on it so it doesn't get stained.

Also, I always used a 1:19 ratio for dipping real plants and most decor.

There were a million little leaves, and a toothbrush was not phasing them even in their earliest phase. Yeah, I immediately had the feeling that 1:10 was way too strong, in that the algae disappeared literally in about 5 seconds. It was crazy effective, but I'll go more gentle next time.

Hey thanks, folks for the recommendation on the Prime. I see on the Prime description online that even 5x the normal dose is safe for emergency situations. I'll do a 3x dose and soak them in a 5 gallon bucket. Is overnight sufficient (or too much)?

I think the overdosing comment on their site is in regards to it in an active tank with fish. I'm hoping you are soaking these in a bucket, not in your main tank! ;)

Like I said, a double dose for a 1:19 ratio was perfect for my needs, I soaked them for a few hours, stirring occassionally. I didn't notice any bleach smell after I was done.

meegosh said:
I think the overdosing comment on their site is in regards to it in an active tank with fish. I'm hoping you are soaking these in a bucket, not in your main tank! ;)

Like I said, a double dose for a 1:19 ratio was perfect for my needs, I soaked them for a few hours, stirring occassionally. I didn't notice any bleach smell after I was done.

lol. No, I soaked each individual plant for about 10 seconds in a small container of 1:10 bleach:water, then rinsed well and moved them all to a 5 gallon bucket. That's where they are now; soaking in water and stinking of chlorine, regardless of how many times I have changed the bucket water. I'm planning to pick up the Prime on the way home tonight. I'll them in the same 5 gallon bucket with clean water and a triple dose of prime overnight, maybe two nights, or until I don't smell chlorine anymore.

DragonFish71 said:

Last night I added about 2/3 of a capful of prime to a 5 gallon bucket of clean water and the plastic plants. That amount of prime would be enough to clean treat 33 gallons of water. The Chlorine smell was gone before I added treatment. A few times I stirred the cauldron up to distribute the prime (bubble, bubble, toil and trouble..) Should an overnight soak be sufficient?

It took me this long to realize that I had a misspelling in the post title. Well, I soaked the plants in a 5 gallon bucket with 1/2 a cap of prime overnight - twice. Then I added the appropriate dose to my tank when I added the plants back to the tank. The plants look spick and span, and no fish casualties. I guess I'll let this thread die.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Back
Top Bottom