How to *clean* unknown source lava rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I *inherited* a bucket of lava rock peices that would be awesome as bio matter in my filters or as a base for moss creations UNFORTUNATELY the previous *owner* got it with a bunch of tanks he bought so isnt sure qhether it came from a fresh or salt water setup. How do I *clean* these to make them safe for use in my freshwater tanks or is it a waste of time?

Lava Rock

I *inherited* a bucket of lava rock peices that would be awesome as bio matter in my filters or as a base for moss creations UNFORTUNATELY the previous *owner* got it with a bunch of tanks he bought so isnt sure qhether it came from a fresh or salt water setup. How do I *clean* these to make them safe for use in my freshwater tanks or is it a waste of time?

Hello ear...

If the rock is dry, the pieces are safe to use. Even if the rock was in a salt water tank, it can safely go into one with fresh water. A quick rinse in warm tap will remove any dried organic material. Then, the rock is ready for your tank.

B

BB
I was *hoping* that was the case but I wasn't 100% sure and since some of them *may* be used in my shrimp tank as moss holders I wanted a second opinion

Back
Top Bottom