How to clean used accessories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting a fish-only system (but with decorations...) and at a garage sale I bought some Lok-Rocks, coral skeletons, and a container of fake plants and whatnot from a hobbyist. They're all in good condition, it seems, but they're used, so how do I sterilize them?
Can coral be boiled?
I read about leaving them in a bleach/water solution overnight then another night of just water--what do you suggest?
:fish1:

I'd just do the bleach thing. If you have some kind of pump you can put in the bucket just to circulate the water that is best IME then just dump it out and put more water in with dechlor stuff and I always do the de chlor thing just to be safe

I soak used stuff in apple cider vinegar, rinse it, and let it dry out. Pick up some rough sponges too if you have something to scrub off.

If they've been sitting dry then there is no need to worry about disease/parasites, if your really concerned just run them through the dishwasher without soap.

If they've been sitting dry then there is no need to worry about disease/parasites, if your really concerned just run them through the dishwasher without soap.

I have done the dishwasher thing before, my wife has a fit every time:eek:

Back
Top Bottom