How to clean used stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a bunch of stuff, protien skimmer, overflow tank, liverock. Its all been sittin around and is nasty. You can see all the old stuff that was living on it. Anyways how can I clean this up so i can use it in my tank?

What if their is like stuff caked on it? Alot of white looking stuff. Most of it when wet can be scraped but it would take me along time. Will bleach just take it off?

The white stuff on the live rock is dead stuff, if it has been sitting in dry conditions then everything on the rock is probably dead (including the good) and I'm not sure if you can bring it back, you could use as base rock after a good cleaning. if it has been sitting in saltwater then is probably not completely cured and you need to do it yourself. :D

Soaking it in white vinegar may help loosen the caked on stuff so you remove it by scraping or with a stiff bristle brush. If you don't know the history of the live rock your better off not using it. You have no idea what chemicals/metals it may have been exposed to. You would be better off getting base rock fro hirocks.com or the Reef Rock from ThatFishPlace.com

cmor and salty are correct using a water/vinegar will clean off all the the things you are looking to clean. DO NOT use bleach on the rock. The change of the rock soaking in the bleach and than leaching it out into the tank is very probable and will only cause you a headache.

If you want to recycle the live rock, Boil It...

Boiling it means setting it in a tub of salt water for 2-3 months changing out about a third of water ever other week. This will create an environment that will exterminate most living creatures on the rock without losing all seed. It is safe and will not allow anything to leach into your tank in the future when using chemicals like bleach.

yeah but you can use bleach on tanks and plastic bits can't you? Or do you think its best to stay away from it all together. Ive heard lots of people say use bleach but lots of people could be wrong.

So im cleaing the rock in vinigar and a little water and its bubbling like crazy! Do i just let it continue until the reaction stops?

You might wanna stop doing that. There's no need and it will only break down the rock. Rinse it off very well in fresh water and let it sundry for about a week. Place it in a salinated tub with a powerhead, carbon bag and heater. Let it sit for another week or so and your good to go.

Cheers
Steve

OK cool. It sat overnight since I didnt know. If the rock breaks down to much ill just get more. No biggie. thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom