How to fix a leaking fx5 style valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should have a spare in the box? My fx5s both came with one outlet spare.

These parts are available, try the fish store on your side of the world, internet it, fast track delivery. Looks different to mine. Colours. I temp fixed my 205 outlet valve by giving it a wiggle. Roll valve off/on/off/on. You probably tried that already.

A temporary fix I know to work from plumbing is electricians tape. It will hold the water back. Wrap a bunch of tape around it, pull it tight on each pass. Put a small towel to keep the drips in check. If you pull tape tight enough it will seal.

Hi thanks for your suggestions :)
It's an Odyssea canister filter, so no spare included. No instructions included! Lol
It seems to be a flaw in these, as I have two, and they both do it. It's so frustrating.

By my experience there is nothing worse than a leak! Especially one at the bottom of the system.
Once I left the purge valve slightly open on my fx5, went to work, came home, -200 litres! Fortunately the tank was massive, no damage done. I have never done it again!!!
That's an old plumbers trick, should at least give you breathing space. Peaceful night sleep etc.

By my experience there is nothing worse than a leak! Especially one at the bottom of the system. Once I left the purge valve slightly open on my fx5, went to work, came home, -200 litres! Fortunately the tank was massive, no damage done. I have never done it again!!! That's an old plumbers trick, should at least give you breathing space. Peaceful night sleep etc.
Well, I used a full roll of self-bonding silicone tape, with no success :(
I've had to settle for drastically reducing the flow.
I have an Aquis canister that has malfunctioned also- worse than just a leaking valve.
I have just ordered another 2 Sunsun canisters online. They are the only canisters I've used that I have never had a problem with. I've also ordered a 20litre bucket of matrix :)

I think silicone need a dry clean surface.
Electricians tape is PVC. It will stick to itself even when wet.

It will hold back a 22mm pipe flow with a hole in it on a central heating system,
Tested! Don't ask me how I know that!

That's way more pressure on central heating, hope the fishes are ok!

All of my filters are from Fluval. 2x1+,2x2+, 1x3+, 2x205, 2xFX5

Some are 8 years old, all are at least 5 years old.
The odd o ring but otherwise. Ok.

I think silicone need a dry clean surface. Electricians tape is PVC. It will stick to itself even when wet. It will hold back a 22mm pipe flow with a hole in it on a central heating system, Tested! Don't ask me how I know that! That's way more pressure on central heating, hope the fishes are ok! All of my filters are from Fluval. 2x1+,2x2+, 1x3+, 2x205, 2xFX5 Some are 8 years old, all are at least 5 years old. The odd o ring but otherwise. Ok.
this stuff sticks when wet too, but it contained the leak rather than plugging it, so it eventually leaked out. Hmmm. Maybe that's the problem- it sticks to itself when wet, but not to the surface I'm trying to seal. Thanks, I'll buy some electrical tape tomorrow. Watch this space (y)

I am!

Remember pull the tape tight around each pass.
It kind of stretches a bit, once you've made the first loop just keep wrapping it around, overlap each pass.

Start a bit below to get the first loop, I know it's an awkward shape, make sure it's tightly pulled per pass, I repeat it because it's important, it will work.

P.s. It wasn't me that drilled the pipe:ROFLMAO:

Well I have tried just about every kind of tape out there, with no success. Tonight I superglued the valve so it can't be closed. Leak fixed. Not ideal, I know- but it drove me crazy every time I had to clean the canister

Back
Top Bottom