How to give away a 55 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anitra Lynn McLeod

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is possibly a very silly question but I need to give away my 55 freshwater tank. It has 2 tinfoils and 2 danios. It has all the equipment and works just fine but it's taking up too much room.

So, how do I go about giving it away including the fish? Or should I give away the fish first, tear down the tank, then give it away? Also, should I list it on Craig's list for my city or is there a better place to list it?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

You could list it in the classified section of an aquarium forum, or craigslist is a good place. I got my two of my tanks from Craigslist; one of them came with the fish. In the ad you could ask I'd anyone wants free fish, if you give them away then you could tear down your tank and take time selling it.

Thank you for your answer. When you got the tank with the fish, did you bring everything you would need to take it? Did you discuss this with the person you got it from before hand so things would go smoothly? I really don't want the hassle of selling it--I just want someone to come and take it away.

Anitra Lynn McLeod said:
Thank you for your answer. When you got the tank with the fish, did you bring everything you would need to take it? Did you discuss this with the person you got it from before hand so things would go smoothly? I really don't want the hassle of selling it--I just want someone to come and take it away.

Where are you located maybe one of us on the forum can help you with your dilemma

Anitra Lynn McLeod said:

Yeah, I'd discuss it with the taker before you bring the fish over there. If you sell with fish, I'd take the fish out, drain tank, leave the substrate but take decor out. Then bring all the stuff over to the taker and let him set it all up :) unless you're a good person and you want to help them set it up, you could do that too lol

Anitra Lynn McLeod said:

Yes. When I called about the ad in Craigslist I found they were moving and wanted to get rid of their whole setup including the fish. They were less than an hour away, so I brought a large cooler limed with a trash bag that I put in the backseat of my SUV. Tank and stand fit in the back.

The only pain was that they didn't start emptying the tank until I got there. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom