Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How to keep a heater in place in a tank?

I need to find SOME WAY to make my Stealth heater STAY on the back wall! Aaarrgh! I have tried several different brands of "heater-holding" suction cups, and they all eventually get brittle/slimy/stiff and lose the ability to hold to the wall.

Is there a brand of suction cups that you really like? Strong? Long lasting?

Or do you have some other really great way to keep a submersible Stealth heater horizontal in a tank, and not have it fall off? (This is a freshwater tank, if it matters.)

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I never had a problem with either of my heaters. My 10g is vertically mounted and my 30g is horizontal. They do show some signs of rotting but they still hold well. I'm curious to see if anyone else has any suggestions. Maybe buy some regular suction cups and use fishing line to tie them to the heater? Just a thought..

Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are magnetic clips to hold heaters and other things on the side of the tank as well. I use suction cups and have not had any problem with them.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ive had the same problem as you... i started using suctin cups from fluval that they give to suction the intake of the filter to the side of the tank... those bad boys wont hardly budge for anything... only other thing you could do is put a dab of super glue on them, just be a little harder to take out if you ever needed to

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm...

Well, I am going to try the Fluval suction cups! I have another idea, but I am not sure it is safe...what about tying the heater to a resin tree stump decoration with nylon fishing line, or zip ties? Would the heat of the heater destroy fishing line, or zip ties? Could it damage the resin stump?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i would be afraid to do that... you can order the fluval suction cups for next to nothing... just get the ones that have little indentions all the way around... thats what my heaters have holding them on...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can burry it under your substrate as well.

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Thanx but no.....

use the suction cups but silicone a magnet inside the cup section, then apply a magnet on the outside of the display. Big heater, use 2.

Make sure the magnet is coated

For those that use veggie clips.... works gr8 there too
Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

These are bombproof...

MagClip Magnet Suction Cups | Pet Solutions
Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Thanx but no.....

HEY!! .. I smell copyright infringement.. Now where did I put those patent papers.....

Tags
eat, eater, heater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com