How to lower noisey skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a CPR bak pak skimmer and it is super noisey, it is 3 years old and i wash out the skimming box once a week. Could it be the motor?

I have a bh-2000 skimmer and made a few mods, i made an acrylic top for the output drain so theres no gurgling, i put soundproof fabric that i got from Home Depot around the pump and pipes, just some examples you may be able to use, i hate loud tanks and i have my tank almost whisper quiet

Hmmm no, should i remove the skimmer from the tank? How should i clean it? With water?

that should be part of the cleaning routine. take the entire unit out, put it in vinegar water to get rid of the gunk, take apart the skimmer and the motor, and scrub as much as you can.

that should be part of the cleaning routine. take the entire unit out, put it in vinegar water to get rid of the gunk, take apart the skimmer and the motor, and scrub as much as you can.

How long should i leave it before putting it in the tank again? Should i get a bucket and leave it in the vinegar? Or just rinse it off with vinegar? How often should i do this

How long should i leave it before putting it in the tank again? Should i get a bucket and leave it in the vinegar? Or just rinse it off with vinegar? How often should i do this

get a bucket, pour some vinegar follow by water (the order of these two matters) in a bucket. put the entire skimmer in there, plug it in and let it run for some hrs or you can simply just let it immerse in the acidic water. take apart everything and do a thorough scrub and clean the following day. rinse it off thoroughly again with regular or RO/DI water if you want to be a purist

get a bucket, pour some vinegar follow by water (the order of these two matters) in a bucket. put the entire skimmer in there, plug it in and let it run for some hrs or you can simply just let it immerse in the acidic water. take apart everything and do a thorough scrub and clean the following day. rinse it off thoroughly again with regular or RO/DI water if you want to be a purist

How often?

One more Q what is it in the skimmer? Coraline algea? Calcium? Salt creep?

a thorough cleaning like this every other month would be good. depending on your setup, you could have all of those in there. which is why a vinegar solution is good for cleaning because it softens everything and make it easier to scrub

a thorough cleaning like this every other month would be good. depending on your setup, you could have all of those in there. which is why a vinegar solution is good for cleaning because it softens everything and make it easier to scrub

Ok thanks, i will get on that friday. How much vinegar?

Back
Top Bottom