How to operate a quarantine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As of now I have a 10 gallon qt. I am going to upgrade it to a 20 next dollar per gallon sale at petco. But I have a few questions. The whole point of a qt in my opinion is to monitor the fish and keep it stress free. But I have tried using gravel and decorations so it can hide and feel safe, but they never come out to eat or I never see them to know what there health situation is. Right now it is bare. No gravel, no decorations. For a couple reasons, I can always see the fish and it can always see when I feed it. And second, the filter, and myself, can pick up the waste/leftover food easier. Whick is the right way to do it?

Second is filtration. First I got a sponge filter. Then I tinkered around with a filter I bought with a tank of craigslist that never worked. I got it running perfectly and is now on it. It does 200 gph and is rated for 45 gallons. My question is is it bad to overfilter a qt?

Third is heating. I have struggled to heat this tank. I have a 50 watt tetra submersible heater that only heats it up to 78º, which it is incapable of doing that. And a 25 watt Chinese ebay heater that I am unsure if its even working. What watt do I need? For a 10-20 gallon? I have a 150 on my 30 gallon which heats it to 90º+. And a 150 on my 55 which gets it to 80+. Why won't 75 watts heat 10 gallons past 75º?

My next question is lighting. Right now I have a reading light for it. And no hood. When I buy the 20 I should buy a hood and light. But do I want bright or dim lights.

Medications... I am using carbon in my hob right now and plan on just using filterfloss when using meds. Thats okay right?

And finally the last question. Two tanks share this qt. A cichlid, and a south American community. One requires a high ph and hardness, one a low ph and hardness. Should I try to roll down the middle or lean to one side?

Thanks for bearing with me on everything! !!

Back
Top Bottom