how to plug a drilled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OBEYtheFISH

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can I plug a hole in the back side of a tank?
It's a 30 gallon tank
About 18 inches tall
3 or 4 inches from the bottom & there's one almost at the top
I'd rather plug it than seal just in case I decide to run the plumbing

Thanks for the help!

You should be able to find a rubber plug to fit it at the hardware store. I found some that had stainless washers on each side and a bolt going through it so that you could tighten the plug. I used them to seal a bottom drilled tank and it worked fine.

Or you could get bulkheads and glue in a short piece of PVC with a cap glued on.. so you'd just need to unscrew the bulkhead and replace it (or leave it long enough that you could cut the cap off and glue on an elbow) if you ever decided to use it drilled.

The thing i was talking about is called a rubber expansion plug, google it for pics. The bulkhead idea sounds like it would make more sense though honestly, that way if/when you do end up using it you just have to tap into the pipe rather than empty the tank and install bulkheads later.

jetajockey said:
The thing i was talking about is called a rubber expansion plug, google it for pics. The bulkhead idea sounds like it would make more sense though honestly, that way if/when you do end up using it you just have to tap into the pipe rather than empty the tank and install bulkheads later.

Alright thanks jeta!

mfdrookie516 said:
Or you could get bulkheads and glue in a short piece of PVC with a cap glued on.. so you'd just need to unscrew the bulkhead and replace it (or leave it long enough that you could cut the cap off and glue on an elbow) if you ever decided to use it drilled.

Where do I get these parts?
Just at a regular hardware store?

tonedogz said:
I'd look on line for the fittings or try your fish store. the only thing I'd change is get a threaded buckhead with a short nipple and screw cap that way if you wanted you could use the buckhead over again cause if you glue it thats it. Make sure you use teflon tape on the threads if you go that route.http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=477&gclid=CObI34nkibACFQrf4AodkmZtMw

Oh sweet thanks for the link!
I see what it is now
Gonna go to a near hardware store to see if they have any

I plugged four holes on my tank . I used lexan sheets and silicone and just glued the patches to the inside of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom