how to plumb a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gravereaper0

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm figuring out how to plumb everything from the sump return pump and ran into a kink. I don't want to have a bunch of pumps in the sump so I'm gonna split off the return with a Y adapter and put a ball valve and a flow meter into one of the lines that will run into the uv sterelizer.
Now should I run another Y adaptor to combine the lines again or should I just stick the outflow line from the uv sterelizer back into the return chamber of the sump.
And the other return line will go through another ball valve to adjust the pump flow rate plus a co2 atomizer (planted tank), a jbj chiller and another flow meter. I want to put the flow meter as close to the return bulkhead as possible so I get the right reading with the head pressure and whatever lines+turns the flow will go through as well.
Is there a certain order al these things should be lined up on the line?

Why do you need a flow meter

I have 4 x 4" drains on my tank and 4 x 32mm return pipes

My tank turns over 66,000 lph

You want to aim at turning the tank over 8-10 x per hour

Put bigger drains than you need then you can add more turn over if you need it

I started my tank 3 years ago with only 20,000 lph but soon found that wasn't enough

Don't forget the more y connectors you add the more head height = less flow from the pump

Why do you need a chiller on a FW planted tank surely its just a marine tank that needs it

Already got the flow meter for free from another member over here and i want to know exactly what my turn over is. And the uv sterilizer needs a precise flow to do its things at 100%. Got a Rio 3100 and with 4 foot head looking at 700gph, about 7 times turn over. If its not enough I'll get stronger pump. Using 2 1" bulkheads for in and one for return. Also already got the jbj 1/4hp chiller because we shut off a/c when we're not home and it gets into 90s in summer and its a goldie tank so don't want it to get above 80.

Already got the flow meter for free from another member over here and i want to know exactly what my turn over is. And the uv sterilizer needs a precise flow to do its things at 100%. Got a Rio 3100 and with 4 foot head looking at 700gph, about 7 times turn over. If its not enough I'll get stronger pump. Using 2 1" bulkheads for in and one for return. Also already got the jbj 1/4hp chiller because we shut off a/c when we're not home and it gets into 90s in summer and its a goldie tank so don't want it to get above 80.

I do know about UV its best to run them slower than the pump rating so if you take into account the head height if you match the pump to the UV it will be fine

No need for flow meters they slow the pump down a bit

You need to keep things simple and adding a flow meter is a waste of time

I had non return valves on my pumps that were in line with the pumps they slowed the pumps down a bit so I took them off not a easy job once they are hard pipes in

This is how my UV are set up 4 x 25w run back to back

image-673411449.jpg

Back
Top Bottom