Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How to regulate Milwaukee Regulator?

Got my regulator yesterday and my husband set it up for me. Yesterday it was working the way I had it adjusted.

This morning there were no bubbles, I turned it all the way open, and after a little eruption of gas in the water it showed constant bubbles again. But only for a half a minute or so. I adjusted it and only little time later it slowed down again and stops ! What is that all about? Is it broke? Am I loosing gas?

Old 10-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tiffi, there should be two guages on the regulator. One guage shows the bottle's volume and should have numbers in hundreds. The other shows line pressure and should have numbers in tens. When you open the valve on the bottle, the volume guage should go up above any red area to 500 or more. The screw on the regulator controls line pressure and should be run in until the guage moves. You only need about 1 psi on the line. From there use your needle valve to set your bubble rate. It sounds like your welder may have sold you a near empty bottle but I could be mis-interpreting your info.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I don't have any red areas on the gauges. But here is a picture, so you can see how it looks like right now:

So now again, what shall I open and what shall it show?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The left guage is tank volume and the right is line pressure. See the right guage that's almost at 10, run out the screw until it drops almost to 0. You do have a needle valve on your setup don't you?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, thank you very much. I've just been on the milwaukee page for a second. The say I should turn the line pressure all the way up till it shown 10 and then adjust with the needle valve. That's what I did and so far it's running now . If it still runs in an hour I should have made it .

Thank you very much though, hoovercat !
Old 10-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, maybe not, it's slowing down again .
Old 10-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can turn the screw as much as I want and it's not going back until 0. It's not going back at all, only more up if I open it more.

Man, this is spooky 8O .
Old 10-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unless you have a check valve, a little water (a little is all it takes to ruin one of these) may have ran into the regulator when there was no pressure in the line. Also the diaphragm in these has been known to have a slight break-in period see here.
http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewt...egulator+break
Old 10-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tiffi, the line pressure guage will only drop as the line pressure goes down. You can crack open the line to your bubble counter to bleed off the CO2 in the line while adjusting the regulator. Otherwise, the guage will show increases instantly but decreases will take a long time to register. Basicly you'll be waiting for the excess pressure to go into the tank.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aaah, that sounds logical .

The regulator is running the same bubble speed for about two hours now. I think it was like in the link QC posted. Probably just the spring in there to stiff. But I'm getting there !

Tags
regulator

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com