How to remedy, little elbow grease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I'm deferring to the excellent wisdom of all youse guys on this awesome site on this question. I've just recently acquired a 75 gallon tank from a friend of mine that I work with, complete with hood, filter (biowheel), gravel and a few decorations, all for a sweet low price. Anywho, I'm wondering, because he sold it to me for so cheap because power went out at his house and the electric company sat on their behinds so his fish died because they couldn't keep up with enough water changes to keep the temp warm enough, he's had it sitting for a while.
On to the question...(darn backstory). I'm needing to clean this puppy, and where I live, our water is riddled with calcium so there are some really cool and unsightly calcification along the rim, on the hood and so far. Now, when I say there's a lot of calcium, I'm srs business lol. My coffee pot needs to be rinsed with vinegar every few weeks so it runs properly. I know that you shouldn't use chemicals to clean the tank, but would it be appropriate for me to use a little vinegar with my elbow grease to clean this tank so i can get it set up for cichlids?

Oh by the way, I'm wanting to set this one up for mbuna, notably the yellow lab. Any suggestions as to what cleaner type fish I can employ safely with those territorial buggers?

You can most definitely use vinegar! :) vinegar and a razor blade (careful not to scratch glass) works really well to remove water deposits. Just rinse really well afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom