Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question How to remove this

In the picture below, looks like green hair...
before it's just on the live rock, now it's every where.
mainly on the glass and even on the sand.

Need help and advise on how to remove it

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	37249  

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gravel vac and a brush mabey.. im not sure to be honest.. i appears to be hair algae ... what are your levels ( ie ammonia, nitrites,nitrates) ?? how long do you leave the light on the tank on for?? if your nitrates are high that helps with hair algae growth try getting a couple of fish that eat this type of algae. if you haven't cleaned the tank in a while try cleaning it a little more often.. feed a little less to reduce excess food building up on the substrate... and maybe try wrapping your tank for a few days with a garbage bag and leaving the light off ... no light no way for the algae to progress further..

Justin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
Gravel vac and a brush mabey.. im not sure to be honest.. i appears to be hair algae ... what are your levels ( ie ammonia, nitrites,nitrates) ?? how long do you leave the light on the tank on for?? if your nitrates are high that helps with hair algae growth try getting a couple of fish that eat this type of algae. if you haven't cleaned the tank in a while try cleaning it a little more often.. feed a little less to reduce excess food building up on the substrate... and maybe try wrapping your tank for a few days with a garbage bag and leaving the light off ... no light no way for the algae to progress further..
Actually my last night's test result showed my water condition is very good
PH 8.0 Ammonia :almost=0 Nitrite:0.3 meg/L

but my light turns on 13-14 hours every day

Do you know any fish eat this kind of stuff? I have 2 turbo snails and some hermit crabs
even a cleaner shrimp. I dont think they like to eat them a lot.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree, looks like hair algae. As stated above the best method isn't just one, it's a combination of all those above. Water change, use RO water (water purified through reverse osmosis), check levels, reduce feeding amounts and days, and cut the lights. If not a complete blackout, only keep lights on for a few hours maybe 2. But no light is better. More than likely it's excess nutrients due to too much feeding or phosphates in your water. It's pretty easy to vet rid of once you get on track. If your tank is near a window than it'll be a little more difficult.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Astraea snails love HA. I added some when my tank broke out due to treated tap water and they did work. Hour. Lights shouldn't really be on for more than 12 hours with only 10 hours with your whites. As stated, cut the lights for a day or two and I'm sure you'll see improvement.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com