how to run two sumps, etc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm considering a new tank with two overflows. This would be my first aquarium of this size. The first question that jumps to mind: how do you possibly run two sumps / wet dry / fuge / etc off of two overflows? You can't possibly set two return pumps to return water at precisely the same rate... so isn't one or the other going to run dry or overflow?

Thanks.

That is an almost impossible thing to do. I have a 3 sump setup, a wet/dry, a fuge and a return sump. Both the fuge and wet/dry flow into the return sump.

Trying to get flow rates exact is nearly impossible. One sump will always drain or fill faster then the other and you will end up with water every where....

Here are some pics of what I have done. If you would like some help please let me know I would be glad to help you as best I can

Here is the fuge. Behind it is the wet/dry with skimmer. There are no sponges or bio-balls in the wet/dry it is just for water volume and the skimmer.
fugeaqf9.jpg

returnaue5.jpg

sump1qv2.jpg

Just to clarify, are you talking about a sump/fuge/ect.. that isn't connected to each other or just concerned with using two overflows?

Ziggy is correct that unconnected containers doesn't work and that all should flow into a central area which is pumped back to the tank.

Multiple overflows on the other hand isn't an issue on a level tank and they don't have to drain into the same location but it is easier to control bubbles if you do.

See www.melevsreef.com for more examples/explanations.

I'm glad I could be of help to you...the link that Tecwzrd gave you has a wealth of knowledge on it! You should check it out!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom