HPS Aquarium Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethings Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm restarting my 6x2x2ft & haven't decided exactly what I want to do with it. I am considering a planted community with emphasis on the plants. One draw back for me would be the purchase price of the lighting for a tank that size. I do however already own a 400w HPS lighting kit from a hydroponic system I used to have.
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience using these lights over aquariums? I know about the orange looking light but I know how to overcome that. I'm more looking to know if the plants will grow well under that type of lighting & more importantly if my fish would be happy & healthy under that type of light? The emphasis may be on the plants but I certainly don't want the fish to suffer for it.

i've also often wondered if hps lights would work too but have never seen or heard of ppl using them. i would think that as long as the spectrum is correct it would be fine. they would have to be a kelvin temp of 5000 - 10000 for freshwater plants. it would be a good experiment.

i've also often wondered if hps lights would work too but have never seen or heard of ppl using them. i would think that as long as the spectrum is correct it would be fine. they would have to be a kelvin temp of 5000 - 10000 for freshwater plants. it would be a good experiment.

The spectrum is fantastic for growing plants. I can vary that depending on what bulb I use as well. I can even get retrofit MH bulbs for it if I have to but they cost about $100aus each. The temp is unknown as it is irrelevant in hydroponics. If I had to guess though I would put it around 5500kelvin. Very orange light but as I said I can offset that with the right bulb & a flourecent fitting. (which would change the k rating anyway)
I think I will mount it over my 3ft propagating tank with no fish & see how the plants go for the next month or so. I'm still in the early planning stages for the 6x2x2 so I have plenty of time to find out if it's good for the plants, I'm betting it is. I just want to find a way of testing the effect it has on the fish without actually having to hang it over one of my other tanks. They are all well established & I don't want to mess with them.

I guess I will be the groundbreaker. You never know, maybe I'm going to make the next big leap in aquarium plant lighting! I will post the results of my tests. Sorry no pics. I already know that you can't take photos under one of these lights.

As long as the bulb has the correct spectrum, the plants won't mind. I don't think the fish would mind too much, but YOU might not like the look of the tank .... The really reddish/orange glow might just look rather dingy & oppressive. But I guess the only way is to try & see.

Back
Top Bottom