Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HPS Aquarium Lighting

I'm restarting my 6x2x2ft & haven't decided exactly what I want to do with it. I am considering a planted community with emphasis on the plants. One draw back for me would be the purchase price of the lighting for a tank that size. I do however already own a 400w HPS lighting kit from a hydroponic system I used to have.
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience using these lights over aquariums? I know about the orange looking light but I know how to overcome that. I'm more looking to know if the plants will grow well under that type of lighting & more importantly if my fish would be happy & healthy under that type of light? The emphasis may be on the plants but I certainly don't want the fish to suffer for it.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i've also often wondered if hps lights would work too but have never seen or heard of ppl using them. i would think that as long as the spectrum is correct it would be fine. they would have to be a kelvin temp of 5000 - 10000 for freshwater plants. it would be a good experiment.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
i've also often wondered if hps lights would work too but have never seen or heard of ppl using them. i would think that as long as the spectrum is correct it would be fine. they would have to be a kelvin temp of 5000 - 10000 for freshwater plants. it would be a good experiment.
The spectrum is fantastic for growing plants. I can vary that depending on what bulb I use as well. I can even get retrofit MH bulbs for it if I have to but they cost about $100aus each. The temp is unknown as it is irrelevant in hydroponics. If I had to guess though I would put it around 5500kelvin. Very orange light but as I said I can offset that with the right bulb & a flourecent fitting. (which would change the k rating anyway)
I think I will mount it over my 3ft propagating tank with no fish & see how the plants go for the next month or so. I'm still in the early planning stages for the 6x2x2 so I have plenty of time to find out if it's good for the plants, I'm betting it is. I just want to find a way of testing the effect it has on the fish without actually having to hang it over one of my other tanks. They are all well established & I don't want to mess with them.

I guess I will be the groundbreaker. You never know, maybe I'm going to make the next big leap in aquarium plant lighting! I will post the results of my tests. Sorry no pics. I already know that you can't take photos under one of these lights.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

As long as the bulb has the correct spectrum, the plants won't mind. I don't think the fish would mind too much, but YOU might not like the look of the tank .... The really reddish/orange glow might just look rather dingy & oppressive. But I guess the only way is to try & see.

Tags
aquarium lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com