Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am running three of the 200watt on three tanks and they are all right on where they are set. There is to be expected at least a 2 degree fluctuation mainly due to heat from lights , ambient temp., etc. Mine have all been great. Two of them are on freshwater tanks and one is on a saltwater tank with t5ho lighting. With the stronger lighting on the saltwater tank I get the fluctuation a couple of degrees but the temp has never dropped below what I have it set at which is 78 degrees. I really don't think a couple of degrees difference is going to be a problem because the temp in the wild fluctuates also.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so when I came home from work today, thankfully, my temperature was at 78.. Very happy!! I plugged my heater in and turned it down to 66 and left it for an hour, it never turned on... I then turned it up to 77 and it hasn't turned on as of yet but that's good since my tank is at 78. Very weird occurrence yesterday I hope it doesn't happen again.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Joey, any updates? I'm about to order the same 200W model and would like to know if yours is still misbehaving.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

FWIW, I've been running the 300w model for a couple months now with no issues/fluctuations.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
Hey Joey, any updates? I'm about to order the same 200W model and would like to know if yours is still misbehaving.
Hi Coralline... Sure, since that incident I haven't had any problems. Unfortunately my tank came down with ich two weeks ago so the heater has been holding strong at 87 degrees very well. However, I will add that there is definitely a 1 to possibly 2 degree fluctuation sometimes. For example, now that I have to maintain temperature at 87 degrees, while trying to hit that mark I had some trouble. I would have it set on 87 but I found it dropping down to 85.8 or so before turning on, which was frustrating. It seems to have a bit of a "sweet spot" but once you find it, it works perfectly. I'm set at just about 88 degrees right now and it's been good.

Maybe I'm asking too much lol but I feel like if I set my heater to 87 degrees, it should turn on at anything below that, and turn off at anything above that. Overall, I definitely recommend the heater, no sticking or over heating, it just has a Slight fluctuation of a degree or so.

I hope this helps!!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
Hi Coralline... I just typed out this long response and the app froze when I sent it... So let's try this again! Lol... So, ever since that incident I haven't had any issues with the Hydor. I unfortunately came down with ich two weeks ago and the heater has been holding my tank at 87 very well. However, I did have some trouble getting it there. It seems to have a bit of a "sweet spot" but once you find it, it works very well. There is definitely a 1 to possibly 2 degree fluctuation. For example, when i set it directly on 87 degrees, I noticed it dropping below 86 before turning back on. I played with it a while and now have it on just about 88, and it sits well on 87.

Maybe I'm asking too much lol but I feel if i put my heater on 87, it should turn off above that and turn on below that. I guess that would cause too much of on/off and wear and tear on the heater.

Overall, I definitely recommend the product, never had over heating or sticking... just don't be surprised by the little fluctuation!

I hope this helps!!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyGeeze
Overall, I definitely recommend the product, never had over heating or sticking... just don't be surprised by the little fluctuation!

I hope this helps!!
Sure does! Thanks a ton, Joey. I'll order it after all and use my existing one for my water change container. Just hope a 200w won't be overkill on my 20g planted. Ah, the things we do for our aquatic gardens.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Depending on the lights you have and how much heat they put out, that can be the cause of the 1-2 degree fluctuation you are seeing. I know when I had my planted tank set up the temp would climb 2-3 degrees and then drop down after lights went out.

I think most heaters have a 1-2 degree fluctuation and that is to be expected.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
Depending on the lights you have and how much heat they put out, that can be the cause of the 1-2 degree fluctuation you are seeing. I know when I had my planted tank set up the temp would climb 2-3 degrees and then drop down after lights went out.

I think most heaters have a 1-2 degree fluctuation and that is to be expected.
Right now I just have the regular single T8 setup. I think the problem that occurred with mine is how hot my apartment got since we had a quick spring heat wave lol.

I think you're right though with most heaters having a slight fluctuation, the guy from Hydor told me over the phone that's to be expected.

@Coralline, it may be a little overkill for a 20g, but shouldn't be an issue.. I say go for it!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Just be careful, with 10wpg of heat you can fry your fish if the thermostat were to fail. It will quickly heat up that 20g (or less) of water in the tank.

Tags
eat, eater, heater, hydor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com