Hydor Koralia 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I just got in my 2 Koralia 3's. Got them to replace the 2 Aquaclear 801's I had (75g tank). The Koralia's are rated at 850 gph while the AC's were 400 gph. I also have a RIO 600 (200 gph) in the tank. So with the 2 new Koralia's and the RIO I have a 1900 gph turnover, plus my sump return pump (QuietOne 3000) which is about 600 gph at 3' head pressure. This gives me aprox 2500 gph for about 33x turn over. The tank is SPS dominated.

The Koralia is nice. Very dispersed flow, but I sort of wish I went with the 4's. The 3's definitely are not too much flow. The fish don't mind it at all and I didn't even get a hint of the sand storm I was expecting. Overall tho, I like them so far.

I have the 2s in my 55 and the 4s in my 125. I like the gentle dispersed water flow.

Dont want to worry any of you guys but over here in the UK, Hydor have recalled all the 2's and 3's ! Some problem with them going bang inside tanks !!! Literally self distructing.

No lfs has any 2 or 3 in stock, only 1 and 4's. It may be down to the fact that we use 240v in Europe, but may be worth doing some research on.

I have 2 of the Korelia 4's and love em dearly although they have a clicky noise at startup which is a bit iritating with my wave bar. Plus they dont offer much protection from an inquisitive bta. I learnt that lesson the hard way :-(

I have heard that the recall applies here in the US, but I am not positive on that. Also, the "clickity" noise is from the impeller starting up rotating backwards, and then the shaft pops up (aka clicks) and then restarts the impeller. Generally, upon restarting, it starts fine and quietly.

Also, these are not designed (as because of the aforementioned issue) to be on a start/stop cycle (or SCWD or wavemaker). You will probably reduce the life of the motor of the PH, but I don't know what that literally means. HTH

I dont know how much of this is tru but the Aqua medic Wave solution slowly ramps power to the PH not just on/off instantly and is supposed to be much better for the ph. I hope this is the case as it costs $400 compared to the Maxijet equivenlent of $100. But Aqua medic stuff is never cheap!

I agree with MSU on not putting them on the wave timer. I know that the Tunze 6055 can be controlled....below is from the Tunze website...264-1453 gph. Not bad especially with the type of flow it creates! I love my 6025, I have a second one on the way....I'm hoping it will get here today or tomorrow.

****Model 6055 has been fitted with an electronic control and a FishCare function when the motor is at a standstill. This pump can be electronically operated by Multicontroller as well as by Singlecontroller.***

The 2's and 3's were recalled soon after they came out (Jan. I believe). They were leaking voltage and ppl were feeling it when they put their hands in their tanks. There's a big thread on RC about it. That's why they were out of stock everywhere for a few months. Drs Foster & Smith just got them back in stock a few weeks ago.
Supposedly you can use the Seio controller on the Koralia's since that controller doesn't turn them totally off. It adjusts the power from 100% to a low of 50%, so they don't actually stop and restart.

Back
Top Bottom