Hydor Koralia nano for FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vialznk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks at AA

This is the setup I am currently working on:

29g tank planted
Harlequin rasborae
Neon Rainbowfish (Hopefully, might have to order from the LFS, if no success, Dwarf Gourami)
Fluval 305 w/ output nozzle removed to reduce gph

Now here comes the question: I have purposefully reduced the flow of the filter by removing the output nozzle because I don't want the usual intake on the bottom left output on the top right of tank set up. I want something more authentic by setting up an independent powerhead on the right side of tank that will provide an even gentle flow for circulation and current for the very active Rasborae and Rainbowfish.

What I have right now is a maxi-jet 600 w/ 170 gph that I see will not cut it because it is a concentrated flow.
So I have done some research and the closest I find to what I want is the Hydor Coralia nano 240gph pump. Now before you write me off as nuts :loopy: I heard that these new pumps have a wide impeller that reduces the pump PRESSURE in order to increase the gph.

Am I wrong? Does anyone have any other suggestion for a pump?

I dunno. 240gph in a small planted tank is quite a bit of flow.

If all you're trying to do is create a wider flow, have you considered putting a spraybar on your fluval?

The spraybar is what i am trying to avoid. What I want is to have water flow from one end of the tank to the other, basically no random flow here and there, because I want the fish to swim with the current.

Understand, but can't the spraybar go along the side of the tank, pointing end to end? It doesn't have to go on the back wall of the tank facing towards the front.

I have over 200gph of flow on a 20 gallon planted fw tank. It's fine as long as you spread out your sources. In fact, high tech tanks need the extra flow to keep nutrients distributed and keep mulm from building up.

Understand, but can't the spraybar go along the side of the tank, pointing end to end? It doesn't have to go on the back wall of the tank facing towards the front.

What I have is the fluval 305's without the nozzle, but I hitched a rig to have a wider nozzle facing from left to right towards the back of the tank to push the water in that direction, and I want to have something else pushing the water from right to left towards the bottom front of the tank. So it goes: back top of tank flow left to right, front bottom right to left. My logic behind all this is to have flow to encourage the fish to school more top back or bottom front and have a quiet rest area at the top front of tank while getting proper circulation.

That does give me an idea though to attach the spraybar top to bottom as you said at the back of tank facing right.

Back
Top Bottom