Hydrogen Peroxide to sterilize new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just got another 10g setup to turn into a 2nd quarantine tank :thumbup although it's used, so I would like to sterilize the canister filters (2x 20g rated mini filters), the heater and the tank itself. For my previous larger tanks, I just put 1 parts Hydrogen Peroxide and 5 parts water into a spray bottle, spray the tank + equipment, wipe them down and then rinse with water and air dry. However, I was wondering with this 10g setup, can I add water to the tank and run everything, then add Hydrogen Peroxide to the tank? Will this sterilize the tank/equipment enough, while not causing damage to any of the equipment or silicone seal on the tank?

This won't do an effective job of sterilizing anything really. If this was my recently purchased item, I would clean everything down with vinegar. If I was concerned about something coming to contaminate my tank from it, bleach would be my go to and rinse the holy be-jebus out of it until the bleach smell was gone.

I vote bleach as well. If time permits (which it should if I remember, you have awesome tanks!) Bleach scrub, 2 day prime over dose soak, day long dry in the sun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup, I would do bleach and rinse the heck out of it afterward. Then let it run with a whole bottle of prime in it for a long time. Then dry it. Still might be a bit risky though.

29 gallon community
10 gallon gertrudae rainbow W.I.P.

Bleach is one thing I prefer to stay away from, unless the tank is extremely grotesque. I'll probably just wash it how I've always done it and not add the peroxide while having the tank up and running.

Should be NO FEAR of bleach?
It's just chlorine.
Soak,scrub rinse dechlorinate with water conditioner at double strength.
The h202 will do little if anything being diluted.
Salt would be better IMO then h202.

I never said I feared bleach? I said I prefer to stay away from it since in most cases, Hydrogen Peroxide is perfectly fine as an alternative when used as a 1/5 ratio with water; which in addition it's less washing needed since after wiping it down with the mixture, all I need to do is have the tank up and running for 24 hours and it's good to go after the Peroxide turns to oxygen and water.

Some people prefer apples over oranges, I guess those people fear oranges lol :)

actually, just rinse/wipe it down with hot water, then leave it dry in the sun for a day.
Complete drying and sunlight will kill any type of anything that could present a problem.
No need for all the hoopla and chemicals. ;)

sometimes folks overthink things waaayyyy too much.

I've seen instances of people doing that and it left behind some kind of nasty parasite, when you have hundreds of dollars worth of fish, it's better safe than sorry. Would be a bit ignorant to spend lots of money on the tank, equipment, substrate, food, and fish then skimp out on cleaning the tank lol. If I did this for my 140G, instead of using $5 or so worth of hydrogen peroxide, I could risk spending a ton more on medication if a parasite was left behind.

I've seen instances of people doing that and it left behind some kind of nasty parasite, when you have hundreds of dollars worth of fish, it's better safe than sorry. Would be a bit ignorant to spend lots of money on the tank, equipment, substrate, food, and fish then skimp out on cleaning the tank lol. If I did this for my 140G, instead of using $5 or so worth of hydrogen peroxide, I could risk spending a ton more on medication if a parasite was left behind.

well then they obviously didn't do a very good job of cleaning the tank.

The only way that is remotely possible is if the parasite had formed some type of hard cyst and stuck to the glass, then maybe it would survive drying, but then they should also be relatively easy to spot/feel as you clean the inside of the tank.

in 40 odd years I have never personally had any issues with parasites after letting a tank dry completely.

If you're at a peace of mind with that method, that's great; however like I said I'd rather go the extra mile in cleaning the tank, after all it'll only cost a tiny fraction of what you spent on the setup/livestock, which is what gives me a peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom