Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2004, 02:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ScurdOfCychlidz
Hydrometer question...

So ive had my tank going for about a week...only thing in there is my sand and my salt water ( i hopefully get my rock tomorrow!!!)...but my salinity (sp) is too high...or gravity you might call it? (sry) its registering at 1.026. Will adding tap water (non-salted) help bring this down? I mean im assuming yes...its just i have added probably 2 gallons of regular water and that number has not moved!!

Thx for the advice!

Old 09-09-2004, 02:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think that's too high, esp. for a reef tank (alert: newbie giving advice). But adding RO/DI water should bring it down easily--it doesn't take much to adjust, I've found. If you've added a bunch of fresh water and the reading hasn't changed, maybe there's a problem with your hydrometer? A bubble stuck on the arm, maybe? That will mess up the reading. I hated mine and ditched it for a refractometer after a week and haven't looked back. Highly recommend it!

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How big is your tank? If it's 100+, 2 gallons won't bring it down much. If it's a 10g, then you've got a hydrometer problem if it didn't move after 2. But ya, remove tank water and add fresh to bring sg down. Save the water you remove in case you drop too low. Just go back and forth until its where you want it. 1.026 isn't super high, I usually recommend .023 to .025.

FWIW, salinity is the measure of salt in the water. SG is the measurement of the density of the water itself. Pure water (nothing but hydrogen and oxygen) has a SG of 1 and is the base measurement. Anything disolved into the water will raise the SG. Koolaid will raise SG but won't be much good in a SW aquarium Both scales will give you good measurements, but the #'s are not interchangeable, sg of 1.023 and salinity of 1.023 are huuuugely different things.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

FWIW, NSW has a salinity of 35 ppt which is the equivalent of 1.026 SG. I would probably stick around 1.025 though to allow for some evaporation.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

honestly, if you want an easier life, pay $45 for a refractometer. most hydrometers (the float type) are calibrated at 60degrees F. For every 10 degrees of temp increase, the reading has to be adjusted (it's like by .001, but I can't recall if you increase or decrease the reading).
I think the instant ocean brand of swing arm hydrometer is calibrated at 77 degress, but mine never gave the same reading, back to back, even making sure there were no bubbles on the arm.

but my refractometer is always right, because it measures salt content by how the water refracts light, which isn't skewed by slight temp changes.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ScurdOfCychlidz
ok thanks for all the advice...unfortunately i can't spend the extra $45 on a refractometer...

get this: wake up and test the water again today...(cuz live rock is comming tomorrow) the temp is 78 degrees and this time the hydrometer says its about 1.034...thats like a HUGE JUMP... do you think something is messed with this tool? Or my water is just out of control!? hah, thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Salt;

Sounds like you added to much salt .take out 1 gallon add 1 gallon fresh test salt do this until you hit 1.023 to 1.025
5 crabs
1 snail
1 coral shrimp
30lbs live rock
ClownMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it was 1.026 yesterday, and the day before, I think your 1.034 reading is wrong. You'd have to have a lot of evaporation to increase salinity that much.

I've only been in SW for a little while, but $45 isn't a big expenditure in a SW/reef setup. My 40gallon tank has wound up costing me well over $600 to get running, not counting fish.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurdOfCychlidz
this time the hydrometer says its about 1.034...
Don't take offence to this but are you rinsing the hydrometer in fresh unsalinated water after each use? Salt build up will also hinder the readings.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO save the 45 bucks or so and get a Refractometer.
When I take a reading with 2 different Hydrometers they are always .02 off from
the Refrac reading. Bottom line: Hydro's are slightly off.
Not a device I really want to use to monitor my tank and make accurate adjustments with.

This is a fairly expensive hobby, if you have a tank up and running you already spent a ton on it. bring lunch from home for a few weeks and pick up the Refract

here it is onsale for 42.99
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113410

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydrometer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com