I can’t properly see my tank during heavy vacuuming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mpwallace1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, my somewhat heavily planted tank is 24 inches deep, and has a glass lid and 36 inch light bar. In order to get to all the gravelled areas for vacuuming and plant trimming I need to remove this lid and light.
Because of the way the tank is positioned in the room, I can’t see in it properly for this vacuuming when the light has been removed. It’s too dark.
Can anybody recommend a solution or I suppose a style of removal light I can use during those times?
I was thinking a mining helmet..lol
Thanks

Snake light work pretty good. You can clip it to the side and runs on battery's. And the good ones are bright.

There we go...perfect, and battery operated being the key feature.
Thanks again

Your Tank

Hi, my somewhat heavily planted tank is 24 inches deep, and has a glass lid and 36 inch light bar. In order to get to all the gravelled areas for vacuuming and plant trimming I need to remove this lid and light.
Because of the way the tank is positioned in the room, I can’t see in it properly for this vacuuming when the light has been removed. It’s too dark.
Can anybody recommend a solution or I suppose a style of removal light I can use during those times?
I was thinking a mining helmet..lol
Thanks

Hello Mp...

I never vacuum my tanks. The material that collects on the bottom dissolves and by just changing out most of the tank water every week, you remove whatever has dissolved in it. What remains is diluted in all the new treated tap water and feeds the plants. As for trimming, you can plug in a small night light behind the tank to provide enough light to tend to your plants.

B

No harbour freight in Canada that I know of but I love this option the best.
Thanks everyone

With a planted tank I wouldn't clean the substrate at all, it will disturb and damage plant roots.

I use a headlamp from MEC. Works grand and the light is always where you are looking.

I love my plants almost as much as I love my fish and I never vacuum my substrate.
My tanks are heavily planted and I have Cory Cats and Shrimp to do much of the dirty work.
20% water changes twice weekly and that's it. EASY...

Back
Top Bottom