Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I can't find a lid

I am new to the fish hobby, and I am having trouble finding a lid for my aquarium.

I bought an aquarium secondhand off of craigslist, and the lid is in rough shape. It is usable, but i have been trying to find something better. It is a glass lid, but it is in two pieces because the plastic hinge is broken, and it is difficult to open because there is no handle.

I measured it, and it is 35 1/8 inches long. I cannot find any glass 35 inch lids, and i don't think that 36 inch would fit correctly. I have seen 36 inch hoods , but the problem there is that i can't seem to find one with led lighting which is what i would like to have. I'm just not sure where to go from here.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriahma View Post
I am new to the fish hobby, and I am having trouble finding a lid for my aquarium.

I bought an aquarium secondhand off of craigslist, and the lid is in rough shape. It is usable, but i have been trying to find something better. It is a glass lid, but it is in two pieces because the plastic hinge is broken, and it is difficult to open because there is no handle.

I measured it, and it is 35 1/8 inches long. I cannot find any glass 35 inch lids, and i don't think that 36 inch would fit correctly. I have seen 36 inch hoods , but the problem there is that i can't seem to find one with led lighting which is what i would like to have. I'm just not sure where to go from here.

Hi, welcome to the forum

Can you replace the hinge at all? I use perspex covers which are easy to cut (but will bend slightly) or have previously had glass cut to size with sharp edges ground back.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This link will take you a hinge for your lid.
You just need to know whether it is 3/16 or 1/8 inch glass.
Handle is on same link also...
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: Aqueon Versa-Top Replacement Pieces

I would say knowing that tanks are different that a "36" inch top is in some cases actually 35 inches??? glass lids are mostly Aqueon who manufactures "versa tops"...
Tom/rambandit
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you! I did not even realize that replacing the hinge was an option.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

if your glass is still in good condition you can get new plastic hinge parts
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: Aqueon Versa-Top Replacement Pieces
looks like coral bandit beat me
Old 08-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Fantastic bit of research / advice from coralbandit / 54seaweed. Amazing options out there.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of the help I ended up ordering a new hinge and handle.

Tags
fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com