Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my 1000 dollars to spend today need advice

1st question. I am going to order this RO/DI unit http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html 169.99 plus shipping is like 200.00 Can you all take a look at it for me and tell me if there is a better deal that I should buy. It says 98% purification I would really like 99.99% purification and willing to spend a little more if I get a better result could I get some advice from my aquarium advice professionals before I place the order and spend some hard-earned cash. thanks, Fijiwigi

rest of the order will include 2 hydor koralia 2's, 2 maxi jet 1200's, Aqua-medic Turboflotor with pump to put in DIY sump with oceanrunner 2500 pump and aquacrylics overflow and refugium copied from melevs reef website http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/s...***/index.html . Sand and salt I will buy at lfs. And then I was debating still adding 25 more pounds of live rock to equal 80 pounds for the berlin method or just buying a good canister filter and leaving some swimming room. I need to know what the perfect canister filter is for a 46 gallon bow and where to buy it at a good price. Maybe LFS??

Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I have this RO/DI and it works great.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always worry about getting things from e-bay I got screwed one time and am sceptical that what you see is what you really get? And I am curious what is the purpose of the big metal cylinder thing from your post that looks like a propane tank what does it do??
Old 12-19-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

The unit is setup so the ro water goes into the white tank and then to the included spigot for the sink. There is another outlet that goes into the DI cart and out a seperate line into your water container that you will use in your tank. So you have RO drinking water at the sink plus a seperate line that is RO/DI water for your tank.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Either RODI unit will be fine. I prefer the clear cannisters, but that's just IMO.
FWIW, millions of people have bought and sold stuff on eBay with out any problems. The site linked to is a Power Seller with their own eBay store. Pretty safe to do business with that group of people.

Get more base rock and save the money of LR.

There is no 'perfect' anything in this hobby. Many opinions from folks who have used a particular product or two (or three), but there is no Cosumer Reports for aquaria related equipment.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

some RO/DI units remove 98% of impurities and some 99% will the extra 1% of impurities make a difference really in the health of the tank and feed to algae growth???

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

I think maybe your confusing RO and RO/DI. "Usually" RO will get the 98% or so and the final purification comes from the DI resin. The TDS of my water out of the RO is 4ppm. Out of the DI it's 0. If your not reading 0 ppm after the DI, you need to either change the RO membrane or replace the DI resin.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok thanks for clearing that up for me. I am now 100ppm clear on the subject.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi
ok thanks for clearing that up for me. I am now 100ppm clear on the subject.
That's not too clear!

But better than nothing I suppose...

Oh... and skip the cannister. Get more rock - either base or live. You'll have plenty of swimming room. PLUS... you'll have more real estate to stick corals on!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I do accept donations to ZiggyReef! LOL

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com