I got my 1000 dollars to spend today need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
1st question. I am going to order this RO/DI unit http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html 169.99 plus shipping is like 200.00 Can you all take a look at it for me and tell me if there is a better deal that I should buy. It says 98% purification I would really like 99.99% purification and willing to spend a little more if I get a better result could I get some advice from my aquarium advice professionals before I place the order and spend some hard-earned cash. thanks, Fijiwigi

rest of the order will include 2 hydor koralia 2's, 2 maxi jet 1200's, Aqua-medic Turboflotor with pump to put in DIY sump with oceanrunner 2500 pump and aquacrylics overflow and refugium copied from melevs reef website http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/index.html . Sand and salt I will buy at lfs. And then I was debating still adding 25 more pounds of live rock to equal 80 pounds for the berlin method or just buying a good canister filter and leaving some swimming room. I need to know what the perfect canister filter is for a 46 gallon bow and where to buy it at a good price. Maybe LFS??

I always worry about getting things from e-bay I got screwed one time and am sceptical that what you see is what you really get? And I am curious what is the purpose of the big metal cylinder thing from your post that looks like a propane tank what does it do??

The unit is setup so the ro water goes into the white tank and then to the included spigot for the sink. There is another outlet that goes into the DI cart and out a seperate line into your water container that you will use in your tank. So you have RO drinking water at the sink plus a seperate line that is RO/DI water for your tank.

Either RODI unit will be fine. I prefer the clear cannisters, but that's just IMO.
FWIW, millions of people have bought and sold stuff on eBay with out any problems. The site linked to is a Power Seller with their own eBay store. Pretty safe to do business with that group of people.

Get more base rock and save the money of LR.

There is no 'perfect' anything in this hobby. Many opinions from folks who have used a particular product or two (or three), but there is no Cosumer Reports for aquaria related equipment.

some RO/DI units remove 98% of impurities and some 99% will the extra 1% of impurities make a difference really in the health of the tank and feed to algae growth???

I think maybe your confusing RO and RO/DI. "Usually" RO will get the 98% or so and the final purification comes from the DI resin. The TDS of my water out of the RO is 4ppm. Out of the DI it's 0. If your not reading 0 ppm after the DI, you need to either change the RO membrane or replace the DI resin.

fijiwigi said:
ok thanks for clearing that up for me. I am now 100ppm clear on the subject.

That's not too clear! :lol:

But better than nothing I suppose...

Oh... and skip the cannister. Get more rock - either base or live. You'll have plenty of swimming room. PLUS... you'll have more real estate to stick corals on!

Ok its a done deal I just spent 1000 dollars in 1 day. holy cow. Here is what I bought including shipping for my 46g bow.
Melevs Reef RO/DI unit 100gpd $200.00
aquatic technology AquaMedic Turboflotor Multi/ Mag7 return pump $293.00
Inter Marine fish 30# cured Carribean live rock $117.00
Aquacrylics Overflow box $54.00
Dr fosters & smith hydor koralia2's (2) Maxi-Jet900(2) 200w heater
Aquarium silicone/Ball valve/U tube/3/4" tubing $181.00
Petco 30#sand/Coralife digital light timer/20G long tank $88.00
Home Depot Egg Crate/ 20g mixing tub $25.00

I already have a 193 watt lunar aqualight and 55#fiji in the tank now. I still need to buy acrylic to cut the baffles for the sump/refugium and the refugium light. And I still am going to buy a 10g tank(9.97) for quarantine I was thinking of buying a Penguin biowheel 150 to run on the main tank and hold purigen then If I need it for quarantine I can move the biowheel to the 10 gallon with some of the tank water. As far as I know this should complete my setup to where I can add a coral in about 1-2 months I just spent about $998.00 whew

If I have missed something please let me know. Thanks fijiwigi

Back
Top Bottom