Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2016, 02:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Have you run a q-tip into the place where the impeller sits. Mine will get snails stuck in there. Also take the flat lid off the filter and see if it is quieter. I had one which made a subtle annoying vibration especially with top lid on it and once off nice and peaceful. It may have something to do with the location up next to the wall. reverberation maybe. Try and buy a new impeller, maybe it is slightly bent.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had the lid issue a few times. If the lid is vibrating against the filter housing, take a good look at the media basket. Sometimes the flow can lift the basket up and make the lid rattle against the basket handles. This is typical of a filter that has a lot of media in it or one that has clogged media. Instead of flowing through it, it pushes it up some. This can be resolved by putting the basket back down in place and making sure there's not too much resistance against the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #13
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Also take the flat lid off the filter and see if it is quieter. I had one which made a subtle annoying vibration especially with top lid on it and once off nice and peaceful.
This is definitely the case with mine, though it's still a little noisy (when all else is quiet in the room) with the lid off.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I pull out my impellar and put vasoline on the shaft and put it back together

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sometimes luck of the draw .... sometimes it goes away ... sometimes not

Note that now AquaClear and Fluval are owned and run by the same company and even use the identical motors just with different impellers. Based on the part number C2-C4 & AC20-70. (AC110 uses a different motor.)

Note: I have two C3's, a C4 and an AC50. i have never once cleaned the impellers or motors on any of them .... or torn any of the filters down. I have crystal clear water. But change the filter media religiously. As much as I hate my AquaClear ..... it's for an entirely different reason:

AquaClear Bypass Issues

My AC50 (Jan 2014) was dead silent right out the box ... not a peep .... never a problem with noise. My first Fluval C3 (Sept 2013) was so annoying and rattling I could not stand it. Everyone on the forums said "ignore it for a few weeks." They were right. It became dead silent with me doing NOTHING. My second C3 was dead silent right out of the box.

My C4 has always been quiet but not silent. All of a sudden after two years .... just this week, it sounds like there are air bubbles in it that make a rattling sound .... but it goes off and on.

Suggestion: since you bought your AC used ......... there could be many excuses for loud noise. If the prior owner used sand as a substrate, consider your filter TOAST ... and move on. I'd recommend a Fluval C series ...... but it is always luck of the draw.

I was at a neighbor's house the other day and noticed one of her aquariums (55 gallon) that had both goldfish and turtles in it was filthy green looking ....... with a noisy AquaClear70 ........ while the other was a 20 Gallon High was SILENT with very clear water ..... running an Aqueon filter with tropical fish in it (mostly tetras). While the water was not "pristine" by our standards, to most people it would look crystal clear.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

My AC 70 would get loud from lid vibrating. I put 2 pieces of duct tape on the sides of lid..leaving a bit of folded tape at end for easier taking off. And now it's quiet again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #17
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStark View Post
My AC 70 would get loud from lid vibrating. I put 2 pieces of duct tape on the sides of lid..leaving a bit of folded tape at end for easier taking off. And now it's quiet again.
This has always been my only problem with Aquaclears: noise from lid vibration. Sometimes I've just kept the lid off and run it "topless."
Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
This has always been my only problem with Aquaclears: noise from lid vibration. Sometimes I've just kept the lid off and run it "topless."
Something so sexy about a topless HOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #19
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedisabum View Post
Something so sexy about a topless HOB.
Bow-chikka-wow!

Tags
aquac, aquaclear, ate, clear, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com