I hate aquaclear filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Space

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hate my Aquaclear.

Is there something about these filters that I am missing because they get such great reviews but I cant stand mine.

I got it used so when I first set it up and it was noisy, I wasn't all that surprised. I have cleaned the thing out multiple times, replaced the motor and impeller, and lubricated it with Vaseline and nothing seems to work. Every time I shut it off for maintenance, when I plug it back in it gets REALLY loud for a while until it settles, but it never gets anywhere remotely close to silent.

The cheap 15 dollar filter I have on my other tank seems to be doing just as good of a job keeping the tank clean and is dead silent.

I'm about ready to chuck this thing out the window, I'm so fed up with it.

Does anyone else have these problems with them? Am I just doing something completely wrong?

Try unplugging and plugging back in a couple times . Works on my Fluval C series.

I once purchased an AC50 and it was noisy. Grinding noise from the impeller. The previous 2 I've purchased were quiet. I swapped the impellers between the "bad" filter and one of the "good" filters and the result was 2 pretty quiet filters.
If you can return the filter for another one then do so. Or try to get s new impeller.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are numerous reasons why it could be making noise. Make sure it's level. Don't jam pack the basket full of media so much that it overloads the motor. Make sure the filter didn't suck up sand or a seed from a vegetable or anything like that. Make sure the inlet tube is clean and most importantly. Look at the intake carefully. If it's not in level and all the way, it will make noise.

I love my aqua clear when I used it, the only time it made noise is when sand got in it but a quick rinse fixed it.

There are numerous reasons why it could be making noise. Make sure it's level. Don't jam pack the basket full of media so much that it overloads the motor. Make sure the filter didn't suck up sand or a seed from a vegetable or anything like that. Make sure the inlet tube is clean and most importantly. Look at the intake carefully. If it's not in level and all the way, it will make noise.

I've tried pretty much everything you guys have suggested aside from testing if its level, and nothing seems to help.

I'm wondering if the sound is not just from the filter itself but the echo from how close it is to the wall? Or maybe silent in fishtank terms means something different than silent in laymans terms.

I know that when it's set up properly, it should make some noise for the first minute or two while it purges all of the air from the inlet tube. Once the air is gone, you should only hear a slight hum from the magnet driven motor as long as the water level is one inch from the top. Aquaclear filters have been an industry standard for years because of their performance, reliability, and customizable media options. This noise issue if not due to faulty set up can easily be resolved by calling Fluval. They stand behind their filters and I believe they handle Aquaclear. Lifetime guaranteed.

I have two AC 50 on my 20g L and I don't notice the noises you describe. The only thing I hear at night is the running water/waterfall sounds, which, coming from Fluval canisters that are more or less silent, took some getting used to.

Are you sure there's nothing in your impeller that's rattling around? Any damaged parts? Aside from that, you may have just gotten a dud. It sucks but it's bound to happen to someone.

I have two AC 50 on my 20g L and I don't notice the noises you describe. The only thing I hear at night is the running water/waterfall sounds, which, coming from Fluval canisters that are more or less silent, took some getting used to.

Are you sure there's nothing in your impeller that's rattling around? Any damaged parts? Aside from that, you may have just gotten a dud. It sucks but it's bound to happen to someone.

Given the reviews people have given these filters I think you're right about having a dud. Either that or its just a quiet hum thats significantly magnified by the placement of the tank.

Have you run a q-tip into the place where the impeller sits. Mine will get snails stuck in there. Also take the flat lid off the filter and see if it is quieter. I had one which made a subtle annoying vibration especially with top lid on it and once off nice and peaceful. It may have something to do with the location up next to the wall. reverberation maybe. Try and buy a new impeller, maybe it is slightly bent.

I had the lid issue a few times. If the lid is vibrating against the filter housing, take a good look at the media basket. Sometimes the flow can lift the basket up and make the lid rattle against the basket handles. This is typical of a filter that has a lot of media in it or one that has clogged media. Instead of flowing through it, it pushes it up some. This can be resolved by putting the basket back down in place and making sure there's not too much resistance against the flow.

I pull out my impellar and put vasoline on the shaft and put it back together

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sometimes luck of the draw .... sometimes it goes away ... sometimes not

Note that now AquaClear and Fluval are owned and run by the same company and even use the identical motors just with different impellers. Based on the part number C2-C4 & AC20-70. (AC110 uses a different motor.)

Note: I have two C3's, a C4 and an AC50. i have never once cleaned the impellers or motors on any of them .... or torn any of the filters down. I have crystal clear water. But change the filter media religiously. As much as I hate my AquaClear ..... it's for an entirely different reason:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-bypass-issues-292796.html

My AC50 (Jan 2014) was dead silent right out the box ... not a peep .... never a problem with noise. My first Fluval C3 (Sept 2013) was so annoying and rattling I could not stand it. Everyone on the forums said "ignore it for a few weeks." They were right. It became dead silent with me doing NOTHING. My second C3 was dead silent right out of the box.

My C4 has always been quiet but not silent. All of a sudden after two years .... just this week, it sounds like there are air bubbles in it that make a rattling sound .... but it goes off and on.

Suggestion: since you bought your AC used ......... there could be many excuses for loud noise. If the prior owner used sand as a substrate, consider your filter TOAST ... and move on. I'd recommend a Fluval C series ...... but it is always luck of the draw.

I was at a neighbor's house the other day and noticed one of her aquariums (55 gallon) that had both goldfish and turtles in it was filthy green looking ....... with a noisy AquaClear70 ........ while the other was a 20 Gallon High was SILENT with very clear water ..... running an Aqueon filter with tropical fish in it (mostly tetras). While the water was not "pristine" by our standards, to most people it would look crystal clear.

My AC 70 would get loud from lid vibrating. I put 2 pieces of duct tape on the sides of lid..leaving a bit of folded tape at end for easier taking off. And now it's quiet again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My AC 70 would get loud from lid vibrating. I put 2 pieces of duct tape on the sides of lid..leaving a bit of folded tape at end for easier taking off. And now it's quiet again.

This has always been my only problem with Aquaclears: noise from lid vibration. Sometimes I've just kept the lid off and run it "topless." :eek:

Back
Top Bottom