Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have no idea what each thing does or how to maintain it

I just got this setup from my friend. I have no idea what each thing does or how to maintain it please help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	188908  

Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

well it looks like a 55 gallon so you will need to purchase a gravel vacuum and some prime dechlorinater . make sure u have filter pads . it probably needs cleaned .and a good water change to start off with. im not sure how good he took care of it so just a few sugestions to get u started.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

skip the filter pads i see it a under gravel system so def. vacuum
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for your reply. I now have changed the water and I noticed my filter is a foam on top a cover and little plastic ball like things underneath. I just want an automatic filter that does cleaning for you or I will resort to buying more algae eating fish.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No matter what filter you buy you will always be stuck with water changes. Plecos and Corydoras can help but overall you will still need to be doing water changes. Weekly to biweekly.

Here is a basic list of things you are going to want to buy:

Seachem Prime (7-15 dollars approximately - trust me when I say to get the biggest bottle. Huge money saver)
API freshwater master test kit (20-30 dollars - essential for keeping your fish alive)
Food - wide variety. From normal flakes, bloodworms, etc.
Gravel vacuum - good ones get up to 30 dollars. But an absolute must especially with goldfish and koi as they are MESSY MESSY MESSY!
A net - kinda obvious on this one. Prices vary depending on store and size of net

Make sure you want to devote yourself to this aquarium. I always love when someone joins the hobby, but it is a lot of money and a lot of work and A LOT of responsibility overall.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you have the dimensions of the tank? the glass looks thicker than a 55, maybe a 75. i would suggest getting rid of all those fish and starting from scratch. those fish will grow over 12 inches EACH and will require a much bigger tank. they will also make it much harder for you to maintain, with how much waste they produce. there are TONS of options that you can go with for that tank.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow that's a lot of stuff, well I have now bought a prime and a gravel vacuum tube. I noticed the aquarium also came with what looks to be a powered filter in the drawer of the table. I don't even know if its a filter or powered vacuum. I have also got a API test kit and several nets. I currently have flakes only for food. Also you can't see in the picture but I have a black fish that never swims a lot, it's always sticking to the gravel. I'm so new to this could someone tell me what it is?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
do you have the dimensions of the tank? the glass looks thicker than a 55, maybe a 75. i would suggest getting rid of all those fish and starting from scratch. those fish will grow over 12 inches EACH and will require a much bigger tank. they will also make it much harder for you to maintain, with how much waste they produce. there are TONS of options that you can go with for that tank.
I believe its a 55 gallon tank, but the glass is thick, bit more than an inch. I don't have the option of getting rid of the fish. In fact I want to buy more beautiful, colorful fish. I agree though these fish are getting quite big, but it's not a problem yet.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtofishy View Post
Also you can't see in the picture but I have a black fish that never swims a lot, it's always sticking to the gravel. I'm so new to this could someone tell me what it is?
You will need to post a picture.

And it's great that you are so willing to buy all of this stuff in order to make your fish happy! They will definitely return the favor for you!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For a varied diet you can feed them shelled peas up to twice a week too
Just literally peel the shell and crush them in your fingers and drop them in. Might take a little while for them to recognize it as food.
Remove any uneaten pieces after 24 hours.

Tags
maintain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com