Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I might have made a mistake!!

I am really scared, I have had my 25 gallon tank for a while now and I have a few cories, black neon tetras, bristle nose. I wanted to add an air pump and stone to the water and I did so. The air stone was not working to well so I read up on it. One article I read earlier tonight said to blow through the air line to see if it was clogged. I did so a few times while it was in the tank and I feel as if it has did something to my fish..

Some of my tetras are now hanging out at the top trying to get air. Omg, I feel like an idiot. I thought as soon as I seen it that it would have had to been that because it was completely random and everyone was so happy earlier. I was thinking I may have introduced a lot co2 in the tank???

Man.. someone please help me.

YouTube - IERTOI
IERTOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Partial water change ASAP - I'd start with 50%

Old 04-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blowing through an air stone once or even a dozen times isn't going to introduce enough CO2 into the system to make any kind of difference. You could blow through it for the rest of your life and still not.

Your fish were probably just a little scared by something new. I'm sure they will settle down.

Remember, people (like myself) use pure CO2 for planted tanks and have it running 24/7 365 without issue. Granted the plants do use it but even with an non-planted tank you don't have enough pure CO2 in your lungs to make a difference in the water composition.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Blowing through an air stone once or even a dozen times isn't going to introduce enough CO2 into the system to make any kind of difference. You could blow through it for the rest of your life and still not.

Your fish were probably just a little scared by something new. I'm sure they will settle down.

Remember, people (like myself) use pure CO2 for planted tanks and have it running 24/7 365 without issue. Granted the plants do use it but even with an non-planted tank you don't have enough pure CO2 in your lungs to make a difference in the water composition.
Yeah.... I think I overreacted big tiiiiime lol. I was scared to death, omg. I felt like I was going to lose my fishies Everything is good now, and my fish are acting like nothing ever even happened.

I appreciate the responses. Looking back on it now, I feel kind of stupid. Maybe my thinking wasn't to logical... I was just really scared lol. I just had this weird feeling that something was not right. I guess you live and you learn right? lol. Thanks

YouTube - IERTOI
Old 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always believe that it is better to ask a silly question than make a silly mistake. It doesn't become silly if a bunch of fish die!

The good news is that everything is ok!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I always believe that it is better to ask a silly question than make a silly mistake. It doesn't become silly if a bunch of fish die!

The good news is that everything is ok!
Thanks again Smitty

YouTube - IERTOI
Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any time I mess around in my tank, the fish freak out a little. I just turn off the light on the tank for an hour and they're fine. If not, they are by the next day.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com