I need a good bio Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 21g tank and want advice on getting the right Bio Canister Filters some links pros and cons please thanks

Actually, most canister filters are not as good as they are bad, and are often referred as "Nitrate Factories". In my opinion, I don't think it's worth it.
Hope this helps!
-Garrett

Actually, most canister filters are not as good as they are bad, and are often referred as "Nitrate Factories". In my opinion, I don't think it's worth it.
Hope this helps!
-Garrett

Any filter when not properly maintained has the potential for that, so I disagree with that last statement.

I prefer canisters over HOB's for better performance, easy maintenance, and quieter operation with the only downside being cost. For a 21g the Fluval 205 would be a perfect choice. Check Amazon for a price shipped. I running 9 Fluval canisters on a variety without issue' it's my Only recommendation.

Hope this helps!
-Garrett

I agree with Hukit ... not keeping up on filter maintenance can lead to such issues. I have a Fluval 404 and love it ... with a 21gal tank you could do a fluval 205 and be fine. Having media trays gives you a few many options to configure it.

I prefer HOB (ACs) for performance and ease of maintenance (you don't even have to turn them off), as well as the much lower price.
It is absolutely true that you can keep nitrate numbers lower by removing solid matter from a filter before it has a chance to breakdown, regardless of type..

Why do you need a canister on such a small tank?

Agreed, canister is a great form of filtration. Well maintained they will not become a nitrate factory. However, many people tend to get lazy with them and wait until the flow is reduced or they are spitting debris back into the tank, both of which are WAY too late. Even worse are the claims of certain manufacturers that their canister can go longer without maintenance. ANY filter (canister, HOB, internal, etc.) needs to be cleaned every single month. They do not remove debris, they simply collect it for you. It is your job to remove it fromt he system by cleaning the filter.

In marine systems the acceptable nitrate concentration is much lower than in freshwater, especially with a reef. So anything that can increase it even a little is not wanted. This is why they are not suggested for sw tanks, and if someone does use one on sw it is absolutely vital they never miss that monthly maintenance (even then it is not ideal).

I use aquaclear filters for my smaller tanks and fluvals for the bigger ones. For this size tank I would go with a HOB AC. :)

The fluvals are great too though, just about double the price of the aquaclears.

I use a fluval on my sw tank and with proper maintenance am able to keep the trates at 0.

:)

I just picked up a aquaclear 50, so now I have the aquaclear and a fluval u2, think that should do the job?

Mr. Limpet said:
Sounds about right for a 21g tank. I;'d suggest saving the carbon pack for when you want/need to remove meds and use poly-fil where the carbon pack would go.

Ok I will do that thanks

Back
Top Bottom