I need all your help on this one!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vindicator

Aquarium Advice Regular
Aquarium Stand Question

Ok, so here is the story. About 2 weeks ago I purchased an All Glass 110g aquarium with stand included. Everything seemed fine, but once I set up the stand my friend pointed out a potential problem.
I thought that the aquarium was supposed to fit slightly sunk into the stand so that it covered up the bottom black plastic on the tank. BUT I am told by the people that sold it to me that the aquarium actually sits right up on top of the edge of the stand. Now, I do not have a problem with setting it up this way, BUT most stands that I see are not set up this way, and I am a little worryed about the strength of this edge it will be sitting on. My friend keeps telling me they sold me the wrong stand or something, and that it cannot be right. But I see no other way for it to work, and the aquarium manufacturer made the stand, so you would think it would have to be right.
I tryed to see if I would sink slightly into the stand, but there is a middle bar that would prevent it from sitting balanced. AND! the tank is to wide to sink in anway, so it would have to rest on the edge.

Does anyone own an ALL GLASS made stand? and if so, how does the tank sit ? I just want to get everyones opinion on this. PLEASE let me know what you think. It is an ALL GLASS AQUARIUM with and ALL Glass made stand. :confused:

img_861017_0_7fdeecdff05d53ed70570752e384dd58.jpg

Last edited:
I have on for my 125 and the tank should fit IN the stand and not on the top of the rim, if I am seeing your pic correctly. I highly doubt the top rim would be strong enough to hold a full tank. That middle bar is higher than the lip of the 4 corners? If that is so, they may have built it wrong. The tank should rest on the middle bar and the four corners. You may want to check the website and get the dementions for a 110 stand and compare it to yours. Or you could call them and ask.

Get some measurements of the tank and the stand and see where the tank will fit on the stand. I would be a little concerned as well about sitting the tank on the edge like that. There should be points on the ends (four corners) and the middle that the tank sits on. The edge should come up around the base of the tank a little.

I agree with Roka.

Thats what I thought at first to, that it should sit down in the stand just abit, But I measured the tank and it is to wide to sit down in the stand, just won't fit. So I see no other possibility besides the edge.

If anyone has a setup with an ALL GLASS stand that sits on the edge like I'm talking about, please post a pictures so I can feel better about this.

Get some measurements of the tank and the stand and see where the tank will fit on the stand. I would be a little concerned as well about sitting the tank on the edge like that. There should be points on the ends (four corners) and the middle that the tank sits on. The edge should come up around the base of the tank a little.

Sorry OP, I don't have a stand made by All-Glass, but common sense tells me that ziggy and roka are correct. I think it tells you this to since it obviosuly doesn't seem right to you either.

Still, strange they would sell an incorrectly manufactured stand. Both views are strange so I don't know what to tell, except that it is better to be safe than sorry. I can pretty much guarantee you your tank is NOT supposed to sit up on the lip of the molding.

Ya I have noticed that ALL GLASS sells a few different types of stands for the same size aquariums. I was at a LFS yesterday, and they had a different stand made by ALL Glass that could fit my tank inside the edge.

BUT, I don't want to go out and buy a new stand for nothing. If mine is designed to sit on the edge OK, I'm fine with that. I can put some trust that All Glass knows what there doing, and that there stand should support that amount of weight on the edge. I just want to make double sure that I am setting it up right.

I'll just add this. From the pics you can see that the moulding around the edge is 1/2 " at best, 2 nails at the miters and that the bracing from the stand doesn come all the way up to top of the moulding. So it's only glued, maybe some finish nails at the bottom near those 1X4's.

There is NO WAY I would put a fully loaded 110g tank on that rim.. NO WAY. I wouldn't even put the empty tank on there for long.

I think that middle board was there for bracing and should be removed and the tank sits inside the moudling. HOWEVER, it if was me, I'd get a 1X whatever sheet of plywood (or whatever and drop inside. Then let the tank rest on a full supported sheet instead of just the corners and edges.

A 110 stand should be made out of 4X4 stock with 2X4 bracing.

If you hadn't said something I would have thought that was a DIY handyman stand

It could be that the stand was put together incorrectly by the manufacturer. Try putting the tank in the stand and see if it fits. If it doesn't, contact your lfs and tell them that you want to return the stand and get a different one. Tanks do not sit on ledges like that. The center bar needs to be flush with the tank, always.

My 125AGA fits INSIDE the stand. The tank is supported on the edge all around which is where the weight of the tank needs to be supported. You should also put down some door weather stripping around the edge to allow for very slight deviations from level.

You know it is funny you post this thread. I saw the exact same stand in our local petsmart. I asked why it was made like that as I have a 125 and a 135 gal stand and both fit inside the stand. They had no answer but haven't sold one of them due to this problem. I am thinking production run mistake.

I know the 125 and 150s have the same footprint. The 150 is just taller.

So the tank should sit just inside the tank with the center support there? I have a 90 all glass tank and the all glass stand and my tank will not fit into the stand at all it will only sit on the rim? I just went onto all glass site andlooked at one of their stands and it shows the tank sitting on the edge of the stand

Last edited:
Wow! That is scary. What happens if you bump into it?!?! I can't imagine those rims would hold. Now that I look at it, that is a different brand and may be designed that way. I wonder if it is possible the tank is all glass and the stand is Aqueon...?

I have no idea if it is made that way, I'm sure a larger tank wouldn't move normally but if there was any house shifting I would not feel as comfortable as if the tank were inside the stand.

Scott you are right I just went back to the site that I got the pic from and the stand is a aqueon stand, and I know that is how are tank sits on the stand

I wonder if there is actually a lip on that stand. Maybe it is just sitting on a flat surface. One of our 55 gal stands has a flat top to support all of the weight. With a bigger tank you need that center support bracing under the glass.

If you look closely at that photo you can see black tank bottom at the back of the tank looking through it, but not on the front of the tank. You can also see a thin piece of molding which has a different grain pattern at the top of the stand. I beleive that the the tank in that photo is sitting IN the stand, with a lip around the top edge of the stand.

The different grain pattern is the trim color. I'm guessing that the black that you see is just from photoshopping the image. Maybe they used substrate from a tank with black trim and just pasted it onto the tank with wood trim. That would be my guess anyway. Considering the size of the trim, I'd say that tank is sitting ontop of the stand, but maybe the stand is built that way. Or the tank is photoshopped into place.

Sorry for the late reply to this but tawolcott is 200% correct - what you want to trust the weight of the fish tank is decorative molding with two somewhat larger finishing nail holding it in place. I feel there is noway in h@#$ (censored it myself) that molding will hold that weight for long. And even if you were to get the tank within the stand if that middle bar is setting higher than the corners it will act like a fulcrum and either bend the tank frame or bust the tank -- I have an All-Glass manufactured tank and stand - the stand top is one solid piece supported by four well proportioned planks. My friends All-Glass sits in the stand on a well supported ledge with cross beams.

Back
Top Bottom